Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarlosH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Main Cutoffs: 200 amp outside panel feeding a 200 amp inside circuit breaker panel.
    Would you please clarify an answer you gave to a previous question?
    Your answer makes me wonder about the capacity of the main shut-off circuit breaker in an inside circuit breaker panel. Is the inside circuit breaker panel the same as what you call a subpanel? Here's the question and answer:

* Is the 200amp sub reasonable and safe?
    Yes, the 200 subfeed kit will allow the full 200 Amp to be drawn from the main meter/panel combo to feed a 200 amp subpanel. A branch breaker is different, and limited to 125 Amps.

My plan is to install an outside panel with a 200 amp shut-off circuit breaker plus 2 circuits(e.g. GE Circuit 4-Space 200-Amp All-in-One/Combination Main Breaker Load Center). This outside panel wold 'direct feed' the inside 200 amp circuit breaker panel (e.g. GE 40-Circuit 40-Space 200-Amp Main Breaker Load Center).

In your previous answer, you said a brancy breaker is different, and limited to 125 amps. I have assumed that in the set-up I have described, the 200 amp main shut off would shut off power to the direct feeds to the inside panel. Is that correct, that if you trip the outside main breaker, all power to the house is cut? I also assume that the 200 amp inside Cb panel would have a 200 amp main shut-off in that panel, which would shut off all power running from that panel if tripped. Is that not so?

If this is all correct, how does a 'branch breaker limited to 175 amps' come into play?

Thank you for your time and answer.

Carlos Higgins
    [email protected]
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2011, 07:59 AM
    If the Overcurrent setting is adjustable you can adjust the setting of outside(outgoing) breaker to be little more than that of the incoming(inside)breaker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Sub panel load size from main panel 200 amp to 100sub 350 ft [ 1 Answers ]

Wire conduit size fromm a main 200 amp panel to a 100 amp sub panel 350 ft away

200 amp main feeding 200 amp sub-panel [ 13 Answers ]

The utility spotter recommendeds the corner of my house as the location for a 200 amp aerial service entrance/meter base. My county requires a shut-off switch with the meter base, so a combination meterbase and load center is the standard here. I'm okay with her recommended SE location, but...

View more questions Search