Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Minihorselover Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
    How to trim a mini horse's hooves
    Hi, I have a mini horse but I do not know how to trim her hooves. Can you help me? They do not need done now but would like to know how when the time comes.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 10:22 AM
    You would be wise to have a farrier (or large-animal vet) show you the first time, so you will know how to do it without hurting her. Some horses don't like their legs touched or lifted, so he will show you how to handle her too.

Dec 3, 2011, 06:23 AM
    Thanks, Her name is Twobits she is the sweetest thing ever!! she's all black with 4 white socks
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Training them to lift their feet can be fairly easy, you just start with baby steps, running your hand down her legs and getting her used to being touched. Working up to manipulating the bottom joint.

I would get a farrier in as WG said to show you hands on exactly what needs to be done. They can be pricey but well worth it if you have a naughty horse.

Jan 2, 2012, 06:16 AM
    K thanks.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 8, 2012, 11:08 AM
    I agree that a shoer is the first one to call to do this job. But you should be fussing over her and running your hands over her legs daily so that when the time comes, she'll respond well.

You didn't mention how old this mini is or where you got her. If she's not a newborn foal, then she's most likely had her feet trimmed before, so it's more a case of YOU learning how to handle the horse than about the horse learning how to be handled. Be matter-of-fact. Many minis (like MINE, for instance!) are neurotic about sudden changes, sudden movements, and feeling as if the person caring for them is an idiot. Mine taught me that early on, and I had hoofprints on my chest to show for it. His small size made me feel as if I needed to be cautious around him to avoid hurting him (I've owned 14 big horses and worked with dozens, but he was the first mini) or scaring him. As a result, I scared the heck out of him! Horses look to the human in control for confidence in the situation, so be confident. Don't do more than you know how to do, and handle her daily to get to know her and let her know you.
    MiniHoofTrimmer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Some horse owners have the ability to learn the "skills" needed to trim their horses or miniature horses hooves. As a professional miniature horse trimmer, I have found cases where the owner can be shown how to properly trim a hoof to be flat, level and balanced to the horse's individual needs and conformation. You cannot learn how to do this by reading about it or watching a video; it must be hands on learning on your own minis because one 'trim' does not fill 'all minis' and some are more upright in their conformation or have foundered and need special attention. Find a farrier or professional trimmer who is open to showing you the right way to trim your mini.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A horse's environment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I live in a place where my neighbors are always riding their ATVS or Motorbikes or playing with their remote control cars. They do this every day and sometimes almost all day. My horse always gets afriad of their remote control cars and she gets agitated when they start the motorbikes and ATVS....

How do I trim corian [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am installing a new over the range microwave. Problem is the back splash is made of corian and the new microwave is about 3/16 larger. How can I trim the corian that is fixed to the back wall by that amount? Also need to make a 90 corner since the corian is 36" wide and the microwave ...

Painting after trim up [ 1 Answers ]

If we have the crown mold and chair rail up.Will a painter be able to paint the walls and get a straight line with out getting the paint on the trim. Plus can the painter paint the trim without getting the paint on the walls

View more questions Search