Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
    The discipline begins when the child is in the crib, not when he's a teenager.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2011, 08:11 PM
    No one suggested we were merely talking about teenagers. Discipline should by all means start at a young age
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Noone suggested we were merely talking about teenagers. Discipline should by all means start at a young age
    Yup, in the cradle. But never with hitting or by spanking.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2011, 03:30 AM
    Unfortunately there are some where the only way to get their attention is physical, call it failure if you like but necessary
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 06:58 AM
    I agree about this "No child left behind" policy. It's garbage! What is that teaching our kids? It's okay to fail? It's okay to not give a darn about the work you produce? It's okay to think giving less than 100% is equal to those that give 110%? What are we doing to the youth of today? BUT I don't think this has anything to do with bullying. Teaching our kids it's okay to fail isn't making them more aggressive or more passive, it's setting them up for REAL failure. When they get into those high pressure jobs or when they go to University they are going to get the shock of their life.

Corporal punishment? If we could take it down a notch and leave out the abuse, then I totally agree. I think bullies should be stripped of all privileges. Maybe left to do their studies by themselves in a detention type setting.

I was bullied in Junior high school. I was the Nirvana shirt, plaid jacket, ripped jeans and doc martin wearing blonde chick that hung out behind the bleachers. I had everything from gum rubbed in my hair to Kurt Cobain's autopsy pictures taped to my locker. And I was punished for being an outsider too. I was constantly told to try harder to fit in. And then came high school, ahhh glorious high school! I was no longer the single chick hanging out behind the bleachers, there was a whole group of us and we moved up to the bus shacks! And now we were wearing Iron Maiden shirts, and WE laughed at the jocks. But I fit in.

I think what kids today need to be taught is tolerance and restraint. Yes there are going to be people out there who don't like you, yes you aren't going to like everyone, but you need to be TOLERANT of these people. Life doesn't revolve around you. Whether you are being bullied or the bully, you are not the axis the world spins on.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2011, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Life doesn't revolve around you. Whether you are being bullied or the bully, you are not the axis the world spins on.
    That is the greatest lesson we can teach kids and we have failed to do it.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 3, 2011, 07:48 AM

I think schools need to take bullying more seriously and instead of ignoring it or giving Mickey Mouse punishments like suspensions, start pursuing criminal charges against bullies. If an adult at work called a co-worker names and pushed or hit him, he would be fired and possibly arrested so why should kids have to put up with behavior that would be unthinkable for adults at the workplace? Schools also need to stop punishing victims who fight back, self-defence is a right and teaching kids to never stand up for themselves and accept being victims will have lifelong consequences. I'm sure glad I'm finished school, I miss the simpler times when if a bully bothered you, you just punched him in the face and he left you alone, maybe even became friends later.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 3, 2011, 08:20 AM
    I totally agree with you Earl. You made the point I am trying to stress. Great post. I also think criminal record/punishment should be the consequences for bullying. And again, you are absolutely right, if I went and punched my boss/co-worker in the face, chances are I WILL be charged.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
    Well, here's what happens when your first grader gets bullied in Boston, he fights back and gets accused of sexual harassment. He didn't like being choked so he whacked the kid in the family jewels. And to think, they still laugh about that on America's Funniest Home Videos.

P.S. Don't let your kid be overheard saying a teacher is "cute."
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Well, here's what happens when your first grader gets bullied in Boston, he fights back and gets accused of sexual harassment. He didn't like being choked so he whacked the kid in the family jewels. And to think, they still laugh about that on America's Funniest Home Videos.

P.S. Don't let your kid be overheard saying a teacher is "cute."
    Unreal! Both of those stories are so sureal it can hardly imagine that they had happened.

It was nothing like that when I was in school.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
    That is just crazy. I can't believe that 9 year old was suspended for calling his teacher "cute". Yikes I guess I better stop telling my co-workers when they look nice or are wearing a nice blouse. Unreal is right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Juggalo toll booth [ 0 Answers ]

What is the story behind the juggalo toll booth?

Is it too late? Have my insecurities taken their toll on our relationship? [ 3 Answers ]

Basically, I'm in need of some help as I'm seriously starting to worry that my insecurities may ruin/have already partly ruined the relationship with my lovely boyfriend. We see each other every day and have been together for 10 months. Even though we see a lot of each other we still manage to...

Toll roads in US [ 3 Answers ]

I will be driving from western canada, crossing the border in Manitoba in to N. Dakota to get to jersey. How much change should I carry in my car for paying tolls on the road? How much do tolls normally cost?

Suicides My Only Way [ 22 Answers ]

Hey people , this is my first time I post here.. I need your Opinion.. it's a State of danger. Now about my life.. first m 18 years old , from israel.. I had a worse 2 years ever Really I don't know how to start this but I'll try.. and sorry for the bad lang . Now I lost the girl that I...

View more questions Search