Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    910Beth Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2004, 04:25 PM
    Bladder Stones
    My Miniature Schnauzer has a bladder stone and is awaiting surgery (I have a popular vet with a tight schedule). I have been unable to reach him today and need to know if there is anything I can give her for pain from the spasms. She weighs 25 pounds. (I KNOW! She likes to eat!) If there is anyone with medical knowledge concerning this please respond. I have Valium on hand but do not know the correct mg to give her. (They belonged to another dog with a rash problem.) Any suggestions will be appreciated. She is in pain!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2004, 02:30 PM
    Buffered aspirin
    The only safe over the counter pain killer for dogs is buffered aspirin. The newer ones safer for people may kill dogs. I forget the exact dosage, but I would not give your little Schnauzer more than half a standard 325 mg tablet. I think it is a whole one for dogs 30 pounds and over. Ordinary I don't give my dogs anything the vet doesn't say, but this is the time to make an exception.

It is so hard when they hurt and you can't do anything.
    910Beth Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2004, 06:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you for responding. I am always so careful with all of my animals, and as you said, give them nothing without a vet's advice. I really appreciate your response because I was at my wit's end here. She has done really well with this so far, and right here before surgery has begun with the pain. My vet did finally return my call this morning and he gave the same advice as you, so I thought you would want to know. We're giving her a very low dose of Valium as well for the spasms. I am a Registered Nurse, so I know what works with people, but, even though they often get the same hurts as people, animals have to be treated differently. The one thing I absolutely know for sure is regular aspirin... and chocolate... will poison a dog. It is great to hear from someone who obviously loves animals.
    THANKS AGAIN
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2004, 07:17 AM
    Weight
    I was so concerned about her pain, I read right over the weight problem. I am sure as a nurse, much of your job involves people digging an early grave with a fork. Dogs too. We love them to death by over feeding. Here is a good guide to keeping her at ahealthy weight, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. Unfortunately there is nothing there making it easier to have the will power to control either the dog's weight or our own. My dogs are in much better shape than I am.

I hope the buffered aspirin controls her pain until the surgery.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 09:50 PM
    How is your baby doing?
    Did the surgery go well? My bosses son's dog also had a ton of kidney stones removed as he almost died because of the stones. His vet advised him to stop feeding the dry dog food and switch to canned. Don't know what kind of food you do give to your baby but maybe do a little searching as to how a dog would be getting stones in the first place and quit feeding/giving them the food or treat that might have caused the stone to form. Hope all is well and your little one is doing great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tonsil stones [ 15 Answers ]

Hi! I have had tonsil stones for a couple years now. They have only within the past year gotten all too fairly common. I have mastered the art of removing them with a q-tip. But I was wondering if anyone could offer a way to PREVENT them from forming. Thanks!

Gall stones [ 1 Answers ]

Can you pass gall stones? I have had a sharp pain in the lower left side of my stomach, also have heartburn and feel nausea no fever. I passed 2 grayish whitish "stones" and some other nasty stuff.

Rolling stones and super bowl [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how much the rolling stones will be paid for super bowl xl?

Mini Daschund Bladder Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My year old mini daschund has been holding his urine for long periods. When he does go he goes a lot. Sometimes he will start walking away while he is still peeing. He is also peeing unexpectedly when he never used too. Any suggestions?+

Kidney stones? [ 2 Answers ]

HI, Just hoping for help with problem my mom is having. She's been experiencing some weird symptoms lately, but her doctor won't give her an appt. for several weeks. But my mom is still worried about what is causing them. THe last week or so she has been having severe "charlie horse" cramps in...

View more questions Search