Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pianoprincess Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 02:27 PM
    What pet should I get?
    I'd really like a pet, but I'm not sure what pet would be right for me.

I'm allergic to dogs and cats, and pretty much anything else with fur.

As for taking care of pets, I can always devote some time every day although I'm busy.

I'm wondering if there would be a good pet for me (besides a fish?)
    sammie88 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Birds are a great choice if you can only devote a certain amount of time to taking care of/playing with pets each day. I would start with something small, like a budgie or a lovebird (keep in mind that those breeds generally require a partner bird so they're not lonely in the cage,) seeing as parrots are a little more hassle, and a lot more clever so it'd be a lot more work taking care of one.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 02:55 PM
    When I first got married, I first went to the library to get books to read up on how to care for chameleons, then bought a good-sized rectangular fish tank, turned it into a terrarium, filled it with the proper materials, and bought some small chameleons for it. They were fun to watch, and didn't need a lot of care since I had planned ahead for them.

Tarantulas, hedgehogs, snakes, iguanas, frogs of various species (African Dwarf Frog, for instance), and of course fish can be good pets too. Just don't put them all together in the same enclosure. ;)
    geminichick Posts: 187, Reputation: 57

Nov 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
    Why don't you ask the pet store or a vet clinic. My guess would be a snake (as long as you're not afraid of them), turtles, tarantulas (again, as long as you're not afraid of them), birds, lizards. I would really recommend going to a pet store or vet to find out. Maybe someone breeds these kind of pets...
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Lots of people pass over the hermit crab, but I have recently gotten two and am STILL shocked at how affectionate the little buggers are. When I put my hand in the terrarium, they actually come towards me and crawl on my hand. One of them is really spunky and likes to scitter (the only word I can muster that describes what he does) across the tank and the other likes to sprawl totally out of his shell under the light and he throws sand up into the air on top of himself. I never realized what personality they had. They are SUPER low maintenance, they hardly require anytime at all. They too do best in a pair. I think it cost me $40 in total to have them totally set up (I already had a 10 gallon fish tank I wasn't using). But you can find used tanks pretty cheap, especially since the one you would be using doesn't need to be water tight.

They do eat a varied diet, but it's pretty inexpensive.
    Pianoprincess Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
    A bird just might be the right pet for me. Thanks!
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Dec 1, 2011, 11:15 PM
    Birds raise a lot of 'dust', and you may develop an allergy for them too, so maybe you should ask your doctor for his opinion (or hers, my bad).
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Yes you can get allergies from birds, I wish our pets expert Alty was here, because birds really aren't as low maitenece as you think.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Lots of people pass over the hermit crab, but I have recently gotten two and am STILL shocked at how affectionate the little buggers are. When I put my hand in the terrarium, they actually come towards me and crawl on my hand. One of them is really spunky and likes to scitter (the only word I can muster that describes what he does) across the tank and the other likes to sprawl totally out of his shell under the light and he throws sand up into the air on top of himself. I never realized what personality they had. They are SUPER low maintenance, they hardly require anytime at all. They too do best in a pair. I think it cost me $40 in total to have them totally set up (I already had a 10 gallon fish tank I wasn't using). But you can find used tanks pretty cheap, especially since the one you would be using doesn't need to be water tight.

They do eat a varied diet, but it's pretty inexpensive.
    I love hermit crabs, such interesting little critters and often overlooked as pets because of their appearance.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
    I vote for hermit crabs too!

Birds are wonderful. We've owned many, have three right now, and I can honestly say that they make lovely pets, but they do require considerable care. I haven't had much of a dust issue, but I know it can arise. And birds can be fragile. Since I'm an animal lover who raised an animal-addicted daughter, we had tanks full of spiders (fascinating... if you don't mind catching live flies for them), lizards (much harder to keep than you'd imagine), various rodents, fish of all sorts, and a full assortment of the more standard pets. I think your local pet store is a good place to start. Someone who spends all day caring for the animals really understands what it takes to keep them alive, healthy, and happy.

Good luck!

autumn19 Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Feb 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
    I think you should get a bearded dragon!! I have 2 and I love them!! They are very easy to care for. Though you don't want to breed them. I'm going to try and make my picture a pic of my beardie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

View more questions Search