Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scotty396 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
    Kitchen tile floors
    My kitchen floor has cracked and I need to remove it but don't want to remove the counters. Is there away to cut around them? If so what tool will I need to do this job?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2011, 07:26 AM
    Is this ceramic tile? If cabinets are set on tile u will remove the support when u remove tile. When installing new flooring may run into problem with dishwasher if new floor is not at the same height as old.

Chuck
    scotty396 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 05:06 AM
    Yes they are ceramic, I was wanting to cut around the cabinets leaving the tile under them. I could remove all but one of the cabinetsso if I really have to remove them I guess I could justwondering if I had to?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2011, 06:11 AM
    Don't know size of kitchen or finish on walls.

Removing tile is a messy job and could damage cabinets.

I would remove cabinets then floor. Prep for and install new flooring. Reinstall cabinets and counter top.

Be sure to make any adjustment u need if back splash is adhered to wall.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 08:31 AM
    Are your cabinets built in or modular? Most modular cabinets have a false toe kick board attached to the front of the toe kick space. It is usually only about 1/4 thick and held in place with a few finish nails. It is sometimes painted black. Sometimes it matches the cabinet finish.

Remove the false toe kick board. Score the tiles with a die grinder and a small abrasive wheel. A die grinder is a small air powered tool available from Harbor Freight for less than $20. You will of course need a compressor to run the die grinder. You may be able to score the tiles with a drill and a small abrasive wheel . Die grinder would be faster. You only need to score the tiles, not cut them completely.

After you have scored the tiles they should break evenly with the cabinets under the toe kick when you remove them. After laying your new tiles replace the toe kick board to cover the joint in the tiles.

Smahx
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square footage rates for strip & wax tile floors [ 13 Answers ]

What is the current going rate in the commercial cleaning industry for quoting square footage for striping and waxing VCT tile.

Tile floors in condos [ 2 Answers ]

Is there some condo law that went into effect within the last 5 yrs about using cork under tile floors when being replaced? I am in Florida.

Laying tile over wide pine floors [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I would like to lay ceramic tile in my kitchen where I have wide pine floors. The water that has dripped on the floor when transferring dishes from the sink to the dishwasher has made some of the edges of the floor raised up some. It's not a large area I want to do, only about 4' wide by...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Questions about tile floors [ 7 Answers ]

I purchased and old health center with tile floors. I don't know what kind of tile it is so I can't figure out how to clean the wax build up off it and get it shiny again. It was a health center so it's the old, brownish grey tile that they so often used in that type of building a few decades...

View more questions Search