Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christyak Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Replacing Large Pass Through Window
    Hi,

I have a very large pass through window in my kitchen above my sink- the kind that slides open on both ends so that you can pass stuff through to someone on the patio (the house was built in 1972... ). The window spans 96 inches wide, and I can't recall how tall it is right now. I would love to replace this window with a smaller window so that I could hang cabinets on either side of the sink for more storage. My question is how difficult would this project be for me to do myself (with help from my family - my brother is a carpenter) and how would I go about accomplishing this? I have never attempted a project this large before.

Thanks for any feedback!

Christy
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I'll bet yopur brother has done jobs like this. It is easier to make a window smaller than to make it largers. Once the interior and exterior trim is removed the window should come out in one rather large piece. Remove the glass sliders before you start removing the window. The new window can be reframed filling the space by building a new, extra 2x4 frame, double the 2x4 top, sides and bottom. The harder part will be trying to match your exterior siding and interior wall surface, drywall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do enzymes pass ? [ 18 Answers ]

I was at the health food store today and saw a bottle of "systemic enzymes" The enzyme is Nattokinase does anyone here know if this passes trough your intestines to get into your blood stream. If I remember my biology enzymes do not pass trough your intestines Does this one pass into your blood?

Weird stain on large window surface [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly, this stain only appears when the glass is steamed up or when the glass gets a bit dirty. When immaculately clean, it doesn't show at all. It is like a film on the surface of the glass, which throws water off or makes it go into beads. It has been there since we stripped the wallpaper in...

Replacing Window jams [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for aluminum replacement jams/tracks for my windows. I want to remove the chain/weights on my wood windows and replace them with aluminum jams/tracks with parting strips that have springs within them and compress against the windows to hold them in place. Can anyone tell me where I...

Pass word [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I want to make a password for my PC, to prevent anyone use the computer during I'm not exciting,so can anyone help on this. Thanks

View more questions Search