Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aksinha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 10:34 AM
    Income Tax in India for Money earned in US as J1 scholars working abroad?
    I am a Visiting Research Professor on J1 visa. I will be in US for less than six months and will be returning back to India after that. I am exempt from US federal Tax as per Indo-US treaty, but after going back to India do I have to pay income tax on the money earned in US?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Nov 29, 2011, 10:55 AM
    Tax treaties exist to avoid double taxation. If you claim the treaty in the US you have to pay taxes in your country of residence if this kind of income is taxable there.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 29, 2011, 12:39 PM
    What TaxesForAlien says is essentially true, but income earned under a J-1 visa as a visiting professor is tax-exempt in BOTH countries under the U.S.-India Tax Treaty. That is probably the underlying reason why there is a two-year cap on the duration of the stay in the treaty itself.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
    What ATE says is essentially not true, because the U.S.-India Income Tax Treaty exempts only U.S. income tax for an Indian visiting professor in the U.S. The treaty does not say anything about exempting Indian tax in that situation. While Indian tax law may or may not tax the visiting professor, the treaty does not prevent Indian taxation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 2, 2011, 07:49 AM
    I will not contest IntlTax on his post, because I really do not know (in that I cannot cite the indian tax law per se) whether the Indian tax system would try to tax the visiting professor's income.

However, it is my understanding that India does NOT tax earned income that originaites OUTSIDE of India if the Indian citizen leaves the country for a set period of time; I believe the requisite time spent outside of the country is six months. If that rules applies for visiting professors, then India would make no attempt to tax the earned income.
    ybsad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Article 21(2) of the us-india income tax treaty is only for students and business apprentices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US India tax treaty for J-1 scholars who make repeated visits to US? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am an Indian student. I have made three visits to US each time with new J-1 visa. 1) I came for first time in US in 2009 for an internship, as a J-1 scholar. My visa was for 3 months. My internship was for 2 months and I went back to India again. I was not charged any taxes under US India...

Is Income earned abroad taxable in the US? [ 0 Answers ]

I am an American citizen.I was employed by a private school in S Korea, teaching ESL for the last 2 months in 2009 and the first 11 months in 2010. The school provided a room for me during this time. I've been here in the US since Dec 1, 2010 but leave to work another year long contract in S Korea...

Tax treatment in INDIA for income earned from foreign investment / speculation BY RI [ 1 Answers ]

What is the TAX treatment in India for the income earned from Investment made in foreign and income from speculation outside india

Taxed for income earned in Abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , My question is why should we pay tax for the income earned abroad in India. I am working for an India based company and got deputed to Cannada on work for 7 months, I am been paid in canadian dollars and I paid tax here, now when I went back to india my company is asking me to pay tax for...

Regarding Taxing for Amount earned abroad in India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are residents of India and on official job I came to work in Canada I worked here for 7 months when I was back to india we had file tax now I have been asked to pay tax for the income earned abroad. My salary was blocked in India when I left for canada and I was paid salary in Canada. ...

View more questions Search