Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aripa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
    How can the volume of a gas be measured in liters?
    Say I have a completely empty cylinder whose capacity is exactly 10 liters. It makes perfectly good sense to say that it will take 10 liters of a liquid to fill it. I don't get the gas part. If 1 gram of hydrogen is introduced into the cylinder, it will completely fill it because gases expand to fill whatever contains them. Exactly the same would happen if 10 grams of hydrogen had been introduced. How, then, can we say that some cylinder holds 3 liters of helium?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2011, 09:15 AM
    Remember that gas is compressible and in some cylinders, a lot of gas can be kept under pressure.

With gas, there is a pressure-volume relation. If you have some specific mass of gas, you can make it have any pressure you want, given it has a suitable volume.

For example, if you have 1 gram of Hydrogen in the cylinder, it will be under a pressure of 1.2 atm. With 10 grams of Hydrogen, the pressure of the gas would be 12 atm.

Now, for measuring and comparison purposes, some companies might bring the pressure to a constant and give the equivalent volume at that pressure.

Say for 1 atm, the first instant would be 12 L of Hydrogen gas and the second would be 120 L of Hydrogen gas, because, after all, when the gas is let out of the cylinder, that is in fact the volume the gas will occupy!
    If they took 1000 atm, it would have been 0.012 L of Hydrogen gas and 0.12 L of Hydrogen gas in the cylinder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Figuring out the volume of gas [ 20 Answers ]

A sample of gas is warmed from 30.0 oC to 90.0 oC at a constant pressure. Its initial volume is 1.75 liters. What is the final volume of the gas.

How do I find the volume of carbon dioxide gas? [ 1 Answers ]

I think the equation V1/T1 = V 2/T2 applies to the question but I can't work out how to use it properly I need to calculate the volume of both solid and gas carbon dioxide and compare them to work out how much the volume changes through sublimination. Thank you

Volume of gas [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: how would I find the volume of the following masses of gases at STP 80 grams O2 10 grams H2 14 grams N2 66 grams CO2 Can please some one explain me how to do it

Volume Nitrogen Gas Question [ 1 Answers ]

How would I solve this problem? The decomposition of sodium azide (NaN3) solid to sodium liquid and nitrogen gas is used in air bags. What volume of nitrogen gas measured at 725 mm of Hg and 26 degrees celsius is produced when 75 g of sodium azide (molar mass= 65.01 g/mol) decomposes?

View more questions Search