Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdamEnrique Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 01:14 PM
    IEEE 1394 FireWire CardBus adapter
    Hello, I recently purchased an IEEE 1394 3-port CardBus Host Adapter for my laptop so I could edit video on my DV camcorder using the FireWire port.

I inserted the card, the "Found New Hardware" message popped up, then "Hardware Sucessfully Installed" shortly there after. However when I plugged in the FireWire cable from my camcorder(which was turned on), the computer didn't recognize it. I went into my editing program to capture video from the camera, and it said, "No Capturing Device Detected."

So I went into the "Device Manager" and saw the IEEE 1394 CardBus Adapter was there, but not the camcorder.

So I'm wondering why the computer is detecting the card, but not the camcorder which is plugged into it, and how to fix this?

Thanks.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
    As you described, Windows default Microsoft drivers were probably installed. You should install the drivers that come with the Adapter instead.

The best way is to remove the adapter, install the drivers and software first. Then plug in the adapter. It should pick up the new drivers.

Check device manager before and after to see if the drivers have been updated.

If the new drivers do not install, you will need to manually update the driver, using device manager, right-click the device, then update driver.
    AdamEnrique Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
    No software came with the adapter, and it says, "Drivers are not required for windows 98SE / ME / 2000/XP" on the box. It says it's a fully plug-n-play adapter.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Feb 10, 2007, 03:17 PM
    When you mentioned the computer didn't recognize the camcorder what was the message?

You probably have to install the camcorder drivers to have Windows recognize the device.

Also, as a side note... you did check if the Firewire feature was turned ON in your camcorder? Maybe its OFF by default.
    upperstraits Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 11:43 AM
    I have a similar problem connecting my Sony HDR-HC5 digital Camcorder to my Laptop (XP SP2) using 1394 firewire. The first time I hooked it up I had no problems, the second the computer did not recognize the Camcorder. I downloaded a hotfix from Mircrosoft along with several plugins - nothing helped.
    The Camcorder did not come with Driver software, according to Sony it's not needed (if fact you can't download a driver from the website - it doesn't exist).
    I tried all combinations of turning the camera on and off before windows start up, the camera was/is properly set in edit/play mode. I've tried to update the driver for the 1394 port -however after windows checks it claims no new driver is available. Can anyone help - I'm getting frustrated.. in particular after reading about so many people having hook up problems and not finding any good answers.

Thx D.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Network adapter [ 3 Answers ]

I am back again.. by the way I never resolved the other issue but was wondering if I could trouble you again. I am trying to install Comcast onto my laptop but it says I do not have a network adapter. Now the question is this. . talked to comcast no help talked to some other people no help. What I...

3 Port FireWire IEEE 1394 What to buy? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a Panasonic digital camcorder. I want to hook it up to my compac presario 2100 laptop, but I don't have the 1394 connection on my laptop to hook up the cable from camcorder to laptop. I know I have to buy the port (does it matter which brand?) I have to buy the cable (that...

Firewire doesn't recognize the camcorder [ 5 Answers ]

I had connected my camcorder using a cable to Firewire (IEEE1394) before to burn videos to DVDs. It worked fine . But recently I tried again , it seems the computer doesn't recognize the connection of the camcorder through FIREWIRE. I have XP home edition operating system. Can anyone help me with...

Firewire problem with Sony Camcorder [ 7 Answers ]

I am wondering what the secret is to hooking up a Sony TRV330 digital Camcorder through the Firewire connection. Apparently there is a sequence that must be followed or you can blow out something in the Camcorder. I don't do this very often, so once again, I guess I killed it (the camcorder). ...

Firewire connection [ 1 Answers ]

I want to connect my laptop to my Home Pc using a firewire cable both run XP pro Is this possible? If so can anyone give me a step by step Rabt

View more questions Search