Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dudeface Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Do you need to install additional floor joists before adding a second floor bathroom?
    I want to add a bathroom (with a tub) on the second floor of my house. Is it necessary to add more framing members to the first floor walls or ceiling?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
    Depends on how well the house was framed to begin with. Whjat size and spacing are your floor joists?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2011, 07:07 AM
    If the second floor was living space, u should have no problem.

If it was an attic space the floor beams may not be of the proper size and have to be up graded.

The wall will not be carrying any weight and should be fine.

Let us know size of floor beams.

Chuck
    newcomer2011 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
    I agree with Chuck, if it is a re-planning an existing space you will be fine to leave floor joists like they are.
    Newcomer2011.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding shower to shop bathroom with concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, we have a bathroom with a toilet and a sink in our shop that has a concrete floor. We want to add a shower so we have a backup for when we remodel the one bathroom we have in the house. The ceiling are fairly high in the shop bathroom. Our most recent thoughts were to build a platform in...

How to install a bathroom in 2nd floor [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to change any piping when replacing a laundry room with a bathroom

Install second floor bathroom drain and vent [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I am taking on the challenge of installing a toilet and sink on the second level of my house and wanted to confirm the best options for sewage lines. It's an older house and I'll be causing quite a bit of damage to existing walls/floors so want the best solution before I go ahead with...

Spongy floor joists causing sagging floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In front of my fireplace there is a small tiled area. This is surrounded by hardwood which runs throughout the living room. The floor on the sides of the tile has dropped slightly below the level of the tile (about 1/8" or so). The wood floor around the tiles is also a bit spongy when...

Proper underlayment for vinyl floor starting at floor joists [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper way to build up a floor to prepare for vinyl flooring? I'm building a mud-room in the garage attached to the house, 5' by 13' . Presently I have the joists installed and am ready for subfloor. I am planning to use 3/4" T&G UDL plywood, glued to joists with construction...

View more questions Search