Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swanmar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 03:06 PM
    Can't access Ebay or University of Florida websites
    Can't access Ebay or the University of Florida website. I get a messages that my browser can not locate the server. (Firefox can't find the server at www.ebay.com;Firefox can't find the server at www.ufl.edu.) I have tried using Mozilla, IE and Safari and all say no server. I have tried disabling AVG and my Adblock Plus--no improvement. I tried restoring to an earlier time (Oct 31st)and then I could not even load Firefox. I am not a super techie person but I am bold, can follow directions and willing to work at it. Any ideas?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 27, 2011, 03:32 PM
    I am not a super techie person but I am bold, can follow directions and willing to work at it. Any ideas?
    Hope so..
    Try changing your primary DNS server to Google's open DNS.
    The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

BK201 Posts: 338, Reputation: 150

Nov 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Also, you can check if the host file is tampered.
    How to Edit the HOSTS File in Windows 7, Vista, and XP
    If there are any entries for Ebay or the other website, delete those entries and save the file.
    thatswho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
    Thanks, Curlyben, It worked!

I've had the same problem with three (political) sites for days. I was beginning to think Verizon was censoring my access! Then I discovered I couldn't get on eBay, either. That was actually good because it allowed me to do a search for other people with the same issue.

Spent several hours searching, trying different browsers, adding the Google chrome browser, and downloading virus zappers, etc. etc. Also tried BK201's suggestion from another source and my file was clean - but that's good info. To have for future reference.

All my sites now load, so thanks to both of you!
    drl2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
    Curlyben,
    That was helpful, thanks. I changed the properties to select DNS automatically and it cleared up my eBay issue too.
    Edawgnite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Thank you, Curlyben! Has been a few hours of hair pulling. My only question is why the heck would the DNS need to change like that? WHat would cause that situation?

Dec 25, 2011, 05:45 PM
    Curly Ben,

You rock! I am eternally grateful. I got instructions on how to change my DNS server and got the never to try it. I did it tonight and all my problems have been solved. Amazing! Thank you.

Dec 25, 2011, 05:46 PM
    Curly Ben,

You rock! I am eternally grateful. I downloaded step by step instructions on how to change my DNS server and got the nerve up to try it. I did it tonight and all my problems have been solved. Amazing! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cannot access eBay [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have been unable to access the eBay website, I have tried everything, most of the fixes on many help sites The problem I have is that I have 2 laptops / 1 PC and a galaxy ace mobile, all these machines are unable to access the eBay website, but if I take my laptop to my mates house and use...

Cannot access eBay uk? [ 2 Answers ]

HI can anyone help. I am using windows vista home premium and was using eBay quite happily then it went off. Trying to log back in using windows internet explorer 9 it keeps coming up cannot find eBay.co.uk. I have emptied the cache, updated my Norton antivirus, been on Microsoft helpdesk and fix...

Florida State University? University of Florida? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all. I live in southwest Florida, and I'm almost a senior in high school. I really need to start thinking about college, but I feel so overwhelmed and nervous. I've decided I want to go to school for herbology, but I have no idea where to go from here. I am so shy and I struggle with change, so...

Can J-2 EAD holders sell stuff online on eBay or similar websites? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Immigration attorneys, Can valid J-2 EAD holders (with no restrictions on their EAD card) sell stuff on e-bay or similar websites? (Seems somewhat tricky as its not strictly an "employment" with an "employer." Any suggestions?) Thanks, Ratan.

EBay access [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to access eBay it sends me to Google images... what's up?? :eek:

View more questions Search