Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    negin22 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2011, 08:03 AM
    I need a little help with the introductory paragraph for the following topic
    Discuss the causes of violence in our society. Any help would be great. This is my first college essay.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Nov 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by negin22 View Post
    Discuss the causes of violence in our society. Any help would be great. This is my first college essay.

Hi negin,

Are you sure they are asking you to. 'discuss' the causes of violence in society? Discussion type responses usually involve two sides of an argument. By this I mean the topic you have is not very debatable. The topic would be more suited to an argument type of essay.

Tut

Nov 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
    I'm pretty positive. The paper itself says "Discuss the causes of violence in our society." It also says that it should be in essay from with introduction body and conclusion.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 07:32 PM
    How long does it have to be?

Start listing causes of violence. Domestic? Societal? Prison violence? School violence?

Nov 27, 2011, 07:43 PM
    5 paragraphs (750 words) It's not too specific.. it just says the causes of violence in our society
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
    Have you starting putting together a list yet? Do that first. Be organized and make a basic outline, and then the paper will write itself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
    Five paragraphs --

A. Introduction
    B. Three causes of violence
    1. Video games
    2. Movies
    C. Conclusion

Nov 27, 2011, 08:05 PM
    I'm pretty positive. The paper itself says "Discuss the causes of violence in our society." It also says that it should be in essay from with introduction body and conclusion.

The structure of any essay is all important this is why I was asking the question. Do you know how to structure a discussion type essay?

You would need to isolate a number of causes of violence in society.

If you choose alcohol as one example then your would need to say how alcohol causes people to be violent. You would then put forward the counter argument as to why alcohol doesn't cause people to be violent.

A discussion essay usually proceeds along these line treating each point and then challenging the point you have just raised.

The number of points you use will depend on the length of the essay.

As stated before, it is all important you know how to structure your essay.

Tut

Nov 27, 2011, 09:13 PM
    How do I start the first paragraph though? The introduction and thesis is my biggest struggle.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Let's think this through.

Do you think violence is a good thing or a bad thing? Why or why not?

Nov 28, 2011, 03:26 AM
    How do I start the first paragraph though? The introduction and thesis is my biggest struggle.

In the introduction you first of all need a background statement.

Remember you are not writing a thesis ( argument essay) your are required to put forward at least one point of view and a counter to that point of view. This is what a discussion essay is all about.

A possible introduction should look something like this

It is generally accepted that violent video games and violent movies leads to people acting out violence in real life. More often than not when violent crimes are committed perpetrators admit they were playing out a fantasy stimulated by violent games and movies.

An equally valid opinion is that not everyone who plays violent video games and watches violent movies is motivated to do so. In fact the statistics show just the opposite. The majority of people do not associate fictional violence with real violence.

It just made this up off the top of may head. However, there are some important things your should note.

(a) I have not given my opinion one way or the other. You do not give your opinion one way or the other until the end of the essay. I have presented one point of view and give supporting evidence. I then gave the opposing point of view and supporting evidence.

(b) The last paragraph of you introduction should be something along the lines of you examining both point of view in light of the evidence .

(c) The three most important things when it comes to essay writing is, structure, structure and structure.

Tut

Nov 28, 2011, 12:40 PM
    I think violence is bad because it causes chaos and trouble
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Good start!

Some people think violence is bad because it causes chaos and trouble. Others believe [what?].

Nov 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
    It's bad because violence only causes more problems. Are you sure tut because it says " the first paragraph must have : an introduction of at least 3 sentence and a one sentence thesis

Nov 28, 2011, 06:46 PM
    Others believe that it's human nature. By the way I emailed my professor about the "discuss" he said ""Discuss" is an open-ended verb. It allows you to argue, persuade, inform, detail, etc. It's entirely up to you."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Others believe that it's human nature.
    Good second sentence!
    By the way I emailed my professor about the "discuss" he said ""Discuss" is an open-ended verb. It allows you to argue, persuade, inform, detail, etc. It's entirely up to you."
    Which one do you want to do? We have to know before we can proceed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 28, 2011, 06:59 PM
    So far:

Some people think violence a learned behavior that causes chaos and trouble. Others believe that it's just human nature.

Nov 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
    Others believe that it's human nature. By the way I emailed my professor about the "discuss" he said ""Discuss" is an open-ended verb. It allows you to argue, persuade, inform, detail, etc. It's entirely up to you."

Neign,

My best advice is to do it the way your professor tells you. Wondergirl is very helpful in this respect.

Just for the record and just so I don't look like an idiot. The person you have been talking to is wrong. Discussion essays are not open ended, do it how you like.

You will note I was suspicious from the beginning and said that I didn't think the question was suitable for a discussion and it was more suited to a thesis type of argument.

Just to show that I am not making all of this up I googled it and this was the first thing on top of the list. I don't entirely agree with everything it says but it proves my main point.

How to Write a Discussion Essay | eHow.com

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a Paragraph with a and topic sentence [ 1 Answers ]

I need a paragraph that has a topic sentence. Three supporting details and a closing.

Edit my paragraph online for free? Topic One [ 1 Answers ]

Topic One Kayla Rousseau It is important to share quality literature with infants, toddlers and preschoolers because literature can develop and foster so many positive aspects of their lives. Engaging children as young as infants, in quality literature would be beneficial to help them develop...

Any latest topic one paragraph in sanskrit [ 0 Answers ]

I want to speak about 2 minutes in sanskrit on any recent topic.

Topic Sentence and Paragraph [ 2 Answers ]

I need a appropriate topic sentence for Tips for Job Hunting in Today's Market. And a complete paragraph with the five sentences

View more questions Search