Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunset98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 09:44 PM
    "Company" added to my full name on checks
    Hi I wondering if I could have customers write checks to me with the word "company" after my full name and cash them in my personal back account?

For example if my name is John Doe, can I cash a check made to "John Doe Company".

I am unemployed and want to make money cleaning offices and washing cars but I don't have the money to file for an official business name.

Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
    Why do you need the word "Company" included on the check?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2011, 09:50 PM
    You might be able to get away with it for a bit, but probably not. I tried it and the accepted checks made out to my business name then they woke up and started refusing them. Not worth taking the chance. Just have your customers make them out on your name.
    sunset98 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 09:51 PM
    To make it sound more official I guess. I would be performing a service and getting paid afterwards so I can't see how people would think they would be getting ripped off... unless I literally "swept stuff under the carpet" LOL

Still it would seem people would be more comfortable writing a check to "John Doe Co." not "john Doe"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
    No, people will be more comfortable doing business with Ajax Cleaning instead of John Doe Company. But once you have proven your work they won't care who they make the check out to.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 09:59 PM
    I've had a business for years doing resumes and helping people get ready for interviews. I have a business name, but most people write the check using my name. My bank takes both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you deduct employees payroll checks from company checkbook [ 2 Answers ]

Do you deduct employees payroll checks from company checkbook

Suing an insurance company for issuing my checks to the wrong person? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 23 and back when I was seven years old I was hit by a car... my foster mother at the time settled my case out of court... after being placed back into my biological moms care... my lawyer that my mom hired specifically for the case contacted the insurance company on many occasions......

Mother a widow wants her 2 childred added in the deed house is paid full what form [ 2 Answers ]

Mother a widow wants to add 2 children on the title house is fully paid what form need to used

Jones Company had checks outstanding totaling $5,400 on its June bank reconciliation. [ 1 Answers ]

Jones Company had checks outstanding totaling $5,400 on its June bank reconciliation. In July, Jones Company issued checks totaling $38,900. The July bank statement shows that $26,300 in checks cleared the bank in July. A check from one of Jones Company's customers in the amount of $300 was also...

View more questions Search