Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marython Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 11:14 PM
    Electrical breakers good. No power?
    Watching TV in the family room downstairs. All of a sudden, power out. Upon further investigation, about 1/3 of the house was out. All circuit breakers were checked and flipped, but still no power. Checked all the GFIs and they were good. Can't figure out why there isn't power.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2011, 03:15 AM
    Hi mary and welcome, Is this a modular home?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2011, 05:43 AM
    Do u have any 220 equipment? Are they working? Sound like you lost one leg of your feed from power company.

Switch the location of 2 15 amp breakers that are side by side. If the switch activates the one that was dead and kills the one that was active, call power company and let them know. This test will prove one leg is dead.

Chuck
    marython26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 07:30 AM
    No
    marython26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Not sure u know what a module home us. It is a standard 2 flat but all power is separated.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2011, 07:42 AM
    Hi mary, follow Chuck's good advice. Good luck
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marython26 View Post
    Not sure u know what a module home us. It is a standard 2 flat but all power is separated.
    I'm personally not sure why it even matter if this is a mod. :confused:

Are you in the US or Canada?

IMO this sounds like an issue than an electrician should check out.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 26, 2011, 06:05 PM
    It is a standard 2 flat
    Sounds European to me.
    marython Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
    Thanks to everyone. I did get an electrician out this morning and he did test the for power into the house. You guys were right, one of the legs of power went out. Called ComEd and they eventually came out and fixed the faulty wires, rather quickly. Thanks for the info. You all were great and gave me the direction I needed. Happy weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toro Lawn Tractor : Electrical power not getting to the electrical clutch. How fix? [ 2 Answers ]

1992 Toro Lawn Tractor with excellent mtnce: The electrical power is not getting to the electircal clutch. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Thanks

Electrical breakers [ 4 Answers ]

My electrician ran a new 14g gauge wire to my attic bathroom light, and I notice that it is on a 20amp breaker. Now I want to add a GFI in the bathroom. Can I put a 15amp GFI on that leg before the light switch?

Electrical and circuit breakers [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a studio apartment that is attached to a main house. Whenever I use my toaster oven or microwave at the same time that the home owner has on her hair dryer or space heater I blow a fuse or whatever, and have to go and switch off & on the circuit breaker. Is there a way to upgrade or...

Electrical Wiring & Breakers [ 7 Answers ]

Is there any reason why I can't run #12 throughout my shop and run all circuits (even lighting) on 20 amp breakers?

Circuit Breakers and Electrical [ 17 Answers ]

Hi... I am having a problem with my circuit breakers... when a couple of them tripped and I went down to reset them... the electrical appliances and switches etc. associated with these particular switches did not come back on... went downstairs to the breaker box and reset the switches again......

View more questions Search