Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheMsRudy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
    He says we are moving forward, but he's not ready for a relationship. Should I wait?
    He says we are moving forward to more than friends. He's been hurt by his last two relationships, so he is not ready for one. I like him a lot, and this would be my first relationship. Should I wait for him to be ready or move on to bigger and better things?
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Tell him you want to discuss having a relationship in the near future and give him a couple of months. It wasn't you that hurt him in the past so why should you be the one losing out on something possibly better?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Hi TheMsRudy,

It depends on how much do you feel for him. Do you want to take the time to get to know him better? Would you not be willing to take things slowly and just focus on enjoying the time you spend together?

If you are wanting to be in a more committed relationship, or you don't feel enough of a connection is there, or that he is worth the wait, perhaps you should move on.

If you really like this guy, enjoy doing things together and getting to know each other, than consider sticking it out a bit longer and see where it might lead.

No need to rush things if you think there is a good possibility of something developing later on, and who knows, bigger and better might be just ahead with this guy.

Decide how you feel, maybe give yourself a time frame to review the relationship again at a later time and see if anything has changed.

Also, there is no reason why you can't date other people as well if this is not an exclusive relationship.
    geminichick Posts: 187, Reputation: 57

Nov 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
    If he's not ready, we don't know when he will be ready for a relationship. Especially when he has been hurt. It will take him time to heal and may have trust issues with women. The thing is do you really want to wait for this guy, which could be forever, or would you like to move on and be with a guy who is ready for a relationship?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Some details

How old are the two of you,
    How long was he out of the "old" relationship before you and he got involved.
    How long have the two of you been together.

I had one girlfriend once who started talking marriage on second date and did not understand why I was not ready to talk about it.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
    The thing is, you are the rabbit, and he is the turtle. While you cross the finish line, and are ready to go hike up a mountain, he is plodding along, trying to avoid the pot holes, transport trucks, coyotes, and other dangers.

He moves at a snail's pace, figuring out if he should move a little faster, take a little risk, put his muscular little legs into second gear... but alas, other rabbits have treated him badly in the past, and he'd just as soon keep a slow pace, until the cows come home.

In which case, he's planning his race to be in a nice warm barn, alone, before getting trampled.

So, the message is, you can win the race- maybe- but, is it worth the wait?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I keep moving forward after breaking up? [ 6 Answers ]

I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 years almost a year ago. Shortly after that I rushed into a relationship that was not good for me, with a lot of emotional upset. I broke that off 3 months ago. I am seeing a therapist. I am having good days and bad days. Heck, good weeks and bad ones. Last week...

The girl I like wants me to wait for her until she is ready for a relationship [ 3 Answers ]

There's this girl that I really like, I'm really picky on who I like now, I have been through a lot of bad, stressful relationships with the wrong girl before. I'm a sophomore in high school and this girl that I met freshman year is the most amazing girl I have ever met, I trust her with...

He needs a few days and is scared about moving forward? [ 5 Answers ]

Didn't see my previous post, so I am trying again. LONG story short... we have been dating over a year. He talked to me about eventually moving in to his newly rented house in the coming months, but I said I would like to have some kind of commitment before I did that... he agreed (in theory)....

View more questions Search