Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roooo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Hi...

I'm having the same problem and am trying Tom's solution, but the top of the ballcock does not have screws. It looks like it snaps on, but I don't want to force it if I'm wrong. Suggestions? Thanks!

Hi,

I've got the same problem as a lot of people on here: loud whistling noise after flushing the toilet. I understand from the many responses that it's the top of the ballcock and the washer beneath it. Most of the answers state to "remove the three screws" but mine has no screws. It *seems* like it might snap off or something. I've attached a pic of a similar-looking top. Suggestions of how to stop the whistling with this type? Thanks!
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 25, 2011, 12:16 PM
    Hi roooo and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 5 year old dead thread so I gave you one of your own. In the future, before you post look in the upper left hand corner for the date. And there's no need to start another thread. Simply use the "edit" button at the bottom of your post.
    Your ballcock will unscrew from the bottom nut shown in your attachment.

Shut the water off and open up the top of the ballcock and put aside. Now place a pan over the open valve and turn the water back on to flush out the valve and supply. Reassemble and test. Better now? Let me know. Good luck Tom
    Turn the water
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 01:30 PM
    To remove the green Fill Valve top, turn water OFF, grab the green tap, push on it in downward motion and twist it 1/4 turn. It will disconnect from the stem. Back to you. Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
    Correct answers. Unless you know your way around a toilet it isn't expensive to just replace the fill valve for about $10. Most of us recommend a Fluidmaster 400a

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flushing toilet loud fog horn noise? But also happened after running bath water. [ 0 Answers ]

This noise has happened occasionally over the past 5 years but more in the past 2 days. It used to be only the toilet in the hall bathroom but now it's also after running bath water in a different bathroom? Help is this a sign of frozen pipes or something bad??

Loud noise from toilet [ 2 Answers ]

We've just fitted a new boiler and as such now have the toilet connected directly to the mains supply (previously from tank in loft). The fill noise in the cistern is extremely loud now, probably due to the water pressure being increased. Is there a fitting I can get to reduce the pressure and...

Loud noise from toilet [ 5 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet there is a loud sound and vibtrating?

Loud toilet noise [ 3 Answers ]

When the toilet is flushed (upstairs), it sounds like there is a woodpecker in the pipes (wall). Very loud and startling. I have copper plumbing and a new tank system was installed this past summer in this toilet.

Loud Noise From Toilet In Master Bath [ 4 Answers ]

Help, we have lived in this home for about 4 years. It was new construction. Recently we have started having a loud noise when you flush the toilet in just one bathroom. The noise actually fades away after the toilet has completed the flushing action. It does not sound like a pipe it is almost...

View more questions Search