Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
    How much do your therapists really need to know
    OK how much do they REALLY needto know so they can do their job? It's not like youwants to tell them something have them think uour a wacko right. Do you really need tell them EVERYTHING. Even if its terribly embarrassing. How can some people cope like that. I can't even looks her in the eye and tell her hardly any of the things I think. Someone tell me to write a letter but that is embarrassing too. This is why I think I would be better off quits therapy and forget it, stop wasting this woman time. Ty
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 09:57 PM
    Your therapist can't really help you if you aren't honest with her.

Let's say you go to a picnic and eat a delicious piece of chocolate cake. It has a chocolate pudding between the layers and a very fudgy frosting. You ask the lady who brought it to please give you her recipe. She emails it to you the next day, but she leaves out an important ingredient and the cake you make doesn't taste as good. You are disappointed and very sad and even a little bit angry.

That's what you are doing with the therapist. You are giving her the recipe about you, but some of the ingredients are missing. Her "cake" (your therapy) won't turn out right. If you give her the right ingredients, it will end up good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 09:59 PM
    You have to tell them everything, not hold or hide anything back. If you don't, they will not be able to really help you properly
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
    Personal disclosure, especially of our most private thoughts, concerns, fears and perceived weakness is always difficult.

Downright scary actually.

I admire your ability to address that openly.

Nov 25, 2011, 05:58 AM
    OK I understand now. Sigh. But ijust can't do it so maybe just consider quitting therapy since I can't do that?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Look, you have two choices, either be honest with the therapist, and work towards getting any issues you have resolved, or quit, as you keep asking for approval, and live with your issues for the rest of your life, and probably be miserable and affect those around you.

Trying to get those here that are giving you the best advice to change their mind and to agree that you should quit, is not going to work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
    I agree, there is nothing, you think or do that would surprise any counselor. And they don't judge or "think" bad about you. They are there to help you move in the right direction.

In past years I have dealt with people that eat their food out of the toilet, have chopped their family to pieces with a axe, had sex in any way and some ways you may not be able to think. Have been abused, beaten, raped and more.
    I will be honest there is nothing that can shock them.

And if you can not be honest, and just pretend to be OK, they will think you are OK.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Tk russell I'm not trying to get people here to change their mind and say I should quits the therapy. Nobody is obligated to answer if they're so annoyed by it all. Obviously I know the 2 choices I have are tell my therapsts everything or quit that's why I ask if it would OK to quit since I can't tell her everything -- you know what never mind its not worth explaining it to you anymore.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
    I couldn't care less about being miserable and affect people around me. That's how I am anyway and therapy isn't going to change that. Far as I'm concerned people can all go rot in the ground

Nov 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
    OK chuck well I will just quits it then. I don't care anymore
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Are you telling me to leave? That's the message I'm getting.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
    No I'm saying to leave I am saying I would rather go kills myself then continue on with this crap. My life is not going anywheres it doesn't matter what I do or say and I am tired of trying.

Nov 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
    Face it there's just no hopes for some of the population that's mentally ill. There's only one option for them and it doesn't matter what people say its just going to keep going around to the same option over and over again. Why keep fighting it there's no point
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
    Interesting. I was finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

On another topic of touching --

That is one of the characteristics of people on the autism spectrum -- they don't like to touch or be touched by other humans.

Have you ever used pressure therapy for yourself? For instance, do you wrap yourself tightly in your blankets at night? Temple Grandin even invented a machine for this -- a "squeeze box" or "hug machine."

Nov 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
    w.g. u think u can just waltzes in and fixes your clients life with cbts therapy? Well guess what if u can't do it and it won't work and they are just failures all the way around? Then what?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 12:57 PM
    I didn't waltz in and it took a long, long time. Her life was better but not perfect. She got married and moved away, so our relationship ended.

CBT will work with you too. It works to help me too.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHoneyVintage View Post
    ok chuck well i will just quits it then. i dont care anymore

If you truly didn't care you would stop posting.

So - back to the question.

The therapist needs to know everything. If you hide from the therapist, you hide from yourself to say nothing of wasting his/her (and perhaps the Government's) and your time and money.

I don't see much left to discuss.

Nov 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Judykaytee just because I keeps posting, fyi doesn't mean I don't intends to quit the therapy which is what this thread about. I do intends to quit next week when I go to her.

Nov 25, 2011, 01:31 PM
    OK wondergirl it don't work but all right.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHoneyVintage View Post
    ok wondergirl it don't work but alright.
    What doesn't work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Respiratory Therapists or Social Workers! [ 2 Answers ]

Which would be a better career path: Respiratory Therapy or Social Services? I'm considering switching into the Social Services field. I am currently taking courses for RT, but I don't know if I will like it yet. I loved the classes up until clinicals... I haven't really gotten to do much...

Physical therapists [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the physical therapy profession. I'm attending a college this fall as a freshman. I'm very nervous about the 6 years of school I'm not really sure what to expect. I'd like to think of myself as a good student but I'm scared of failure. I've also...

View more questions Search