Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProfKEPickett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 03:03 PM
    Parent won't return property to a child?
    My daughter who is 17, lived with her father in Wisconsin for three years, but in the summer whilst visiting me in England, decided to return to live with me to complete her last year of school. I have legal sole custody. Her father will not return any of her property that she left behind, although I have offered to either pay for it to be shipped or to pick it up. He says that if I go to pick the property up he will not allow me in the house. My daughter does not want to return on her own to collect her things. What legal rights do we have to reclaim her property, and how can we enforce any claim?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
    I'm not one of the legal experts, but here's my take on this:

The obvious is the power play, but there's more to it. Dear ol' Dad is desperately holding on to his daughter's possessions to make sure she will return to him. In psychology, it's called a transitional object. His rationale is that, if the possessions are completely gone, she's completely gone too.

Is there some way she can assure him she will continue to visit/stay with him? Is there an important transitional object or objects she can leave with him to reassure him she will return?
    ProfKEPickett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
    Thank you for your quick answer. I'm sure you're right about the underlying motivation. Unfortunately, my daughter doesn't have a good relationship with her father at the moment, and doesn't want to visit or stay with him at present; his refusal to send any of her things reinforces. This and makes her less inclined to visit. It feels like a catch 22 - he won't hand things over unless she visits, she doesn't want to visit unless he sends her things. I've waited some months to try and let the situation settle down, but her father refuses to discuss any compromise
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 03:38 PM
    That puts a slightly different spin on the situation. You're going to have to wait for one of our legal experts to give you suggestions on what to do. Today is Thanksgiving in the U.S. so it may be a few hours before someone has pushed him or herself away from the dinner table to turn on the computer. Please be patient!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
    What country is the child custody order in ?

You say sole legal custody, that is not the same as physcial custody ( at least in the US) I will assume you have full physcial or joint physcial. Can you please explain more about the situation and also how she ended up in the US, if you had custody. ** children can not just decide where they want to live.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2011, 09:57 AM
    She decided to stay in the UK with you instead of returning to the US pursuant to the Court Order? Where was the Order issued - UK or US? I'm confused that you have custody BUT she was living in the US. When was the Order issued? After she came to the UK to stay with you?

How did she get a visa to stay in the UK?

Need more info -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kicked out by parent, can that parent then turn child over to Child services? [ 25 Answers ]

I have a teenager staying with me. Her single mother kicked her out of the family home and changed the locks. The mother knows she is staying with us. Mother originally said she would not allow child back in home until child has followed certain rules. Mother and daughter agreed to meet and talk...

When parent fails to maintain contact and support to child. Step parent adoption [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got sole custody of his son at 7 months because at 1 month old his biological mother spiral fractured his left femur and he 2 years old now. Im his step mother and his primary caregiver. I love him more than anything in the world like he was my own child and he calls me mom. I want to...

If child receives SSI for disabled parent does the parent have rights to visitation? [ 2 Answers ]

Just found out my sons father gets SSI. Can my son draw SSI also. Father lives out of state and as had little contact with my son, if I draw SSI for him will the father have visitation rights, rights to have his last name changed ?

Step parent must pay child support when biological parent is unable to provide [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband is claiming that he does not have to pay child support because he does not work and has not work since 1998. Our two daughters however, up until 2 years ago lived with him and his new wife who is the sole provider of that family. So my question is even though he cannot pay since he...

Child live with cutodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent child is 18 years [ 1 Answers ]

Child lived with custodial parent, now lives with noncustodial parent, child is 18 years old. What happens to child support?

View more questions Search