Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dla1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Scews popping out of ceiling?
    New construction house. The house is very well insulated and tight. I also had the ceiling spray painted primer and cover coat. I now have a lot of screws backing out of sheetrock. Is the problem wet wood shrinking, too short screws, moisture in the sheet rock?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Wood is a 'live' product and is always moving. The changes in hunidity will make wood move more. This will cause the popping of screws. It usually stops after about 3 to 5 years.

Remove loose compound, recompound and paint.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
    I agree with Chuck. Those screws are not moving but slightly cirved farming is moving as it dries. The moisture is in the wood and this may continue to be an issue for a full year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just installed new ceiling fan and now electrical "popping" in the wall and switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced a ceiling fan with a new one. It had the Black, Red, White and green wires. I hooked up everything correctly and it powered on both with the light and fan. However, there is a crackling or popping sound coming from the inside of a certain area of the wall and sometimes from the...

Ceiling, walls, floors, roof have cracking, popping noises [ 3 Answers ]

My home is a 26 year old, 1 1/2 story with a full basement. 2 years ago I had a 2 level deck replaced and added a pergola above half of the deck. Also, 6 years ago, I had an overhead and walk-in basement doors removed and had a basement wall poured for that section, because there was a problem...

Ceiling fan popping noise [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday I was turning off the ceiling fan in my daughter's bedroom (it's a fan - light combo but only the fan was on; fan and light are controlled by separate wall switches) and when I flipped the switch off I heard a fairly loud "pop" and I think I saw a brief flash of light from near the fan...

Popping sound and flashes - from a ceiling light [ 1 Answers ]

Laying in bed with the lights out when a popping sound occurs and the ceiling light flashes

Popping Noises coming from the Ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Date is 12/30/07. I purchased a new constructed home here in the San Francisco Bay area in May 2005. Late October 2005 when it started to get cold here I turned on the Heating unit and started to hear popping sounds in the masterbedroom, kitchen, great room and the foyer by the front door. The...

View more questions Search