Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbflg8r Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Hot Water for only about 2 minutes
    My hot water heater is about 2 years old. The other day I noticed there was no hot water in the shower. I discovered that the switch in the electrical fuse box had tripped, so I reset it and turned it back on. Since then when I take a shower, I only get lukewarm water which lasts for only about 2 minutes, then it gets cold. I checked the fuse box again and the switch is fine. Is there any thing else I need to reset on the hot water heater itself? Does the thermostat reset? Or does it seem like I have a bigger problem?

I also noticed that after a shower, the sound the hot water heater makes when it is refilling is much quieter than normal.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Be very careful when you try this and maybe have a "electrically wise" friend help. Do not treat 220 vac lightly so if you are not sure of your skills get help. Shut of the breaker to your heater and open the panel that will expose the wiring connections. Also try to get at the heating element. Check to insure you are getting 220vac to the heater. Check the element for continuity and then check it under a full 220 vac load. I think your breaker may have tripped when your element burned out and now you will not find continuity through the element.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Shut the water and the breaker off to the heater and drain the heater. Open the T & P valve to prevent air lock. Purchase two 4500 watt elements and replace both of them. This gets you away from working with live 220 volts which I don't recommend to any home owner. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Hot water first few minutes than again 10-15minutes later [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently bought a brand new house. Everything is brand new the water heater, faucet, shower etc. The water heater is in the basement. When I use the upstair shower, the hot water would run the first 30 seconds or so then it will get warm and I would have to turn the knob to the hottest...

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

Hot water for about 10 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

My shower only stays hot for about 10 minutes, at the most. Do you have any suggestions? By the way, my water heater is electric. Thanks.

Hot water runs out after 5-10 minutes [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Need some assistance: I have a 30 gallon gas hot water heater about 10 yrs old with copper plumbing and after taking the shower for 5-10 minutes, there is no more hot water. What are some of the possible causes & fix? Thank you, Matt

View more questions Search