Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RealQuestions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 03:26 AM
    Corporate Thanksgiving Dinner Church Funding and Harassment?
    I work for a subsidiary of a fortune 500 company. They held a Thanksgiving Dinner that was as stated 'provided for by ________(comany name).

The person in charge of organizing the dinner is also is in human resources/customer service area. Every year she insists that the food be prepared by her church and she asks everyone to pray before they eat.

I refused to wait for her prayer before filling my plate up and she harassed me by yelling at me and jerking the utensils from my hand twice. I filed a legitimate harassment complaint about that.

But now I am wondering, is it even legal for her to authorize the funding of a company dinner if that alloted money goes back into her church?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 23, 2011, 04:13 AM
    I'm sure the company has audited this expenditure. Unless you can prove that she personally got some kickback from this, I see nothing illegal about it.

As for your actions at the dinner, they were rude and unnecessary. I can understand if this was your first dinner and you didn't know the way things were done, but apparently it wasn't.

On the other hand, her public harassment of you was over the top and your filing a complaint was justified.

So you were both wrong and if I were the person handling the complaint I would say exactly that and put a note in both of your files about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2011, 08:54 AM
    You are so rude that you do not give respect to anyone's religion. If you don't want to go to the dinner just don't go.

I would say this company will find other reasons to pehaps let you go in the future, I know companeis I have worked for will.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RealQuestions View Post
    But now I am wondering, is it even legal for her to authorize the funding of a company dinner if that alloted money goes back into her church?!
    Hello R:

Who she paid and where the money went ISN'T your concern. You're just LOOKING for stuff. I wouldn't do that. It'll WEAKEN your case.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Wow - the height of rudeness on both sides.

I agree - I would guess the wheels are spinning to come up with a reason to terminate the OP.

Disruptive at best.

Happy Thanksgiving - another holiday full of drama.
    RealQuestions Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2011, 10:48 PM
    No the funding is none of my business; especially when she yells to me in front of everyone that I was, 'barking up the wrong tree' and the fact that she also happens to be a pastor at this financially lucrative 'end-times' themed revivalist church whose programs she indirectly pressures employees to attend through flyers on company grounds. But I'm sure our new holding company that wants more transparancy due to low productivity and general mismanagement would sure as heck be interested... Then again, JudyKayTee, you are right, those covert propaganda 'wheels probably are spinning' in the best interest of intimidating right wing zealots in human resources/finance positions.

Re: Rudeness: In case you are wondering, the silent majority that witnessed this disgusting stuff was 'on my side' and only prays for this meal to appeal to her.

Zealots in such obvious positions can at least be wise enough to be a little more covert when it comes to rubbing their power in people's faces; especially during times like these.

Now I'm GTFOH
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 24, 2011, 06:47 AM
    First, our responses were based on what you told us. Now you are providing additional information that somewhat modifies things.

I am very much opposed to proselytizing, especially in the workplace. If this woman is using her position with the company to do that then it SHOULD be reported. Employees certainly have the right to complain about it THROUGH APPROPRIATE CHANNELS.

But You still come across as a rude person. It doesn't matter whether the "silent majority" was on your side (if they were silent how do you know?). The fact of the matter was what you did was rude and it was not the place or time to be in her face. Whatever her reaction has no bearing on that. And your reaction here continues the impression of rudeness.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Hello again, r:

I'm fine if you GTFOH... I'm busy anyway.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
    Yes anyone with no respect of a dinner function, esp a business one, who is so rude as to start eating prior to the prayer, sorry they can leave the room if they do not want to pray, and come back afterwards.

The fact this person was so rude, shows a lack of business ethnics, since proper control and showing professional attitude is important.

The OP will be the blunt of company jokes for years into the future,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not a member of a church but want to be married in church [ 8 Answers ]

Neither my fiancé or myself are members of a church, however we want to be married in a church. We live in Whitehall, PA and are wondering if anyone knows of a church that would marry us without having to join.

Vegetarian making Thanksgiving Dinner. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in a little bit of a pickle. Somehow I ended up being the host of this years Thanksgiving Dinner and it's a party of 10 (incl myself and my husband). Now I know how to cook meat, I was taught while growing up in Germany by my Oma, but I have never had to make a Thanksgiving...

Thanksgiving with ex [ 2 Answers ]

Well my ex (and her family) want me over for thanksgiving. I still want her back really bad, what do you think I should do?

View more questions Search