Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canambob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2011, 06:12 AM
    Lien placed on home before filing for Bankruptcy
    My wife had a sole proprietorship business in Ontario, Canada. She got behind in paying her Ontario Sales Tax remittance and the provincial government attached a lien on our jointly owned house to recover the outstanding moneys owed. This occurred on May 10,2009. She has since declared personal bankruptcy as the business failed on Jan 1, 2011 and is now finished with the bankruptcy process. Our bankruptcy trustee just advised us that the CRA has this lien for $27,000 which is made before the bankruptcy process started. The equity in the house was determined in Jan 2011 to be $17,000 of which my wife gets 1/2 or $8,500 if we sold. Should we contact the CRA and offer $8,500 to remove the lien? What other suggestions do you have to remove the lien? If we sell in say 5 years will the lien still be on our home and if the equity rises to $100,000 will we have to pay the $27K plus interest? We'd like to end this situation but can not afford $27k.
    Many thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2011, 06:50 AM
    The lien will "live" until it is paid. I just looked at the Canadian Bankruptcy Law and the lien IN FULL survives the bankruptcy (which you appear to know). You can offer a settlement but I see absolutely no reason for the CRA to take it. The lien is against the whole house, not just your wife's half (that's the danger of jointly-owned property).

If the house sells for less than the lien the balance will be your wife's debt.

This is the same as a jontly-owned bank account. What is yours is hers (and the other way around). The entire account could be seized for the debt of either one of you.

In the event I am misinterpreting the law (I am not in Canada) I would contact an Attorney, but I believe (based on my reading of the law) that I am correct.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Agree, they may take a settlement off, but they have no reason to, They can wait till the house sells at some time in the future, and they get their money in full before it sells.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing bankruptcy on mobile home (and other)... When to sign lease? [ 1 Answers ]

We are planning to file bankruptcy in about a month on our $44000 in cc debt, a truck we are $10k upside down on and our mobile home (we are $30k upside down). We've consulted an attorney and been told we qualify for chapter 7. I've asked him this, but he never gets in a hurry to return calls or...

How soon before filing for chap 7 bankruptcy can I put a lien against my car? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going to file for Chap 7 Bankruptcy in about two months. I need to borrow money to pay for taxes, my attorney and car insurance. I have about 4000 worth of equity in my car. It is all right to borrow money from a family member or friend, have a promissary note and loan payment terms written up,...

Filing bankruptcy to avoid home foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and got ownership of our home - equity in the home is about $10,000. I have about $50,000 in personal loans and credit card debt - amassed within the last couple years. I have a paid-for car worth about $5,000. I cannot make my house note with all these bills. If I file for...

Lien on home and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

If there is a lien on my house and I file bankruptcy, is the lien dissolved?

Filing a subcontractors lien on a home for lack of payment? [ 1 Answers ]

I filed a lien on a home that was just built for lack of payment by the contractor. The home is owned by that builder and has not sold. I also filed a claim to lien with the county in which it was built the home still has not sold. If it goes into foreclosure do I still get paid and if so how...

View more questions Search