Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maccafan Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Nov 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Workplace doctors
    How is it legal for an employer to retain a doctor in the workplace and REQUIRE employees to use this doctor,thereby having access to such info as blood pressure,cholesterol,tobacco use,etc. Then turn around and use this information to require employees to enroll in certain "programs"or pay exorbitant penalties for health care. How is this not a hipaa violation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
    What do you mean by require, can they require a company physcial as terms of employment ?

Can you tell us where this is at.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 05:58 PM
    If a doctor treats you and then tells your employer anything about your condition it is a violation of the HIPAA Act, if you are in the USA. However, did the doctor or his nurse have you sign anything, like a release maybe?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
    It is lawful for insurers to charge different rates based on risk. Therefore, it is lawful for an employer to require an employee to submit the results of a physical to determine those risk factors. So yes they can require using their own physician for such a physical.

Nov 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
    This is not just for annual physicals.They want the employees to go to this company employed doctor for everything.This doctor has his "office"in the plant!To me this is just a way to get around hipaa laws.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Is the doctor employed by the company to treat work related injuries?

Nov 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
    Both

Nov 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Treats workplace injuries too
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 06:14 PM
    You should not be required to go to this doctor for your yearly physicals, but a company can require physicals by their doctors for employment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
    First you have not told us where you are at, And what type of work you do.

They can in some states require you to go to specific doctors for workers injury ( in some states) in other states they can not require.

They can not require you to go to this doctor for anything not work related.

There is often programs in large companies for over weight and other risks to help them.

It can depend on what info they are giving to the employer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Workplace Relations? [ 10 Answers ]

I like a colleague from work and she stayed over, we ended up making out the next morning which went on for an hour or so but she had to leave in a rush (she had made plans, wasn't running away). Need a sounding board. Im guessing I need to call her before work. Should I just go for it and try...

Workplace Harrassement [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has recently had a conflict that has resulted in threat of filling harassment charges. A female coworker has become severely upset because my husband has raised his voice at her. He tells me that even the other co-workers present have stated that his voice was raised but not the point of...

Workplace harassment [ 1 Answers ]

How is it that my mother can come home from work in tears because her team manager has absolutely ripped shreds off her over the most trivial of things? She has been documenting each time this has happened. Her boss yells at her and humiliates her in front of her co-workers. There appears to be no...

HIV in the workplace [ 14 Answers ]

I have a friend that is HIV positive and is in big denial.This friend of mine wenk to work at a local fast food place which he didn't tell no one he has HIV Should I be freaking out over this? I no longer eat at this place. Should I let my close friends know not to eat at this place? Or should I...

View more questions Search