Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittany15danny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Civil WAr
    What was the greatest problem in the united states after the civil war?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Reconstruction - physically, economically, spiritually, emotionally. The South was in ruins. Relations between the North and South were guarded at best. Any good history book will fill in the details.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 08:59 PM
    We still think the yankees were the greatest problem.

But the war did not solve any of the problems that caused it, economic control of the tax money by the Northern states and using large percent for Western Expansion. The War basically just forced the south into submission but caused more debt, and the problem of homeless, disabled and the such any war causes.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 8, 2007, 09:15 PM
    The Padre is absolutely correct. Nothing was actually solved by the war itself... The result were decided, but the implementation was left for the future. Even slavery, the issue that we now associate as the primary issue of the war, wasn't dealt with in any real sense. It continued to exist (in practice if not in name) for half a century in many areas.

The nation was essentially left with trying to figure out how to implement what was decided by the war, deal with reconstruction and reconciliation, and to continue the policies involved in westward expansion.
    airborne82nd34 Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Feb 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
    The biggest problem was families were torn and friends lost almost every single american at the time was affected in some way or another by this god awful war. In my opinion the greatest problem affecting this country afte the civil war was restichting the relationship between north and south something of which we still struggle with to this day
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittany15danny
    What was the greatest problem in the united states after the civil war?
    Too much government is always the problem. PS: The Civil War was not fought to free to slaves or to enslave the nation, but to preserve the Union. Was it Honest Abe that said, "Might makes Right"? "Might Makes Right": Lincoln and Churchill - The Churchill Centre

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What was life like in America in the Civil War? [ 5 Answers ]

What was life like in the Civil War in America, like what kind of jobs did people have; What things did they do for entertainment? What were their clothes like?

The Civil War (US) [ 3 Answers ]

Which was not part of the Union's threepart plan to conquer the South? a. blockade southern ports c. capture the Confederate capital b. draft freed slaves to fight for the union d. split the Confederacy in two What was the aim of "total war" as practiced...

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

Spanish Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hop eyou can help me. Does anyone know the main events which decided the end of the spanish civil war? Stephanie

African American History after the civil war [ 1 Answers ]

I got a couple of questions... ;D 1. What was presidential reconsturction? What policies concerning Freedmen are most associated with it? 2. What was congressional reconstruction? What are the greatest and/or enduring accomplishments of this era? 3. What were the black codes? 4. What...

View more questions Search