Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starchy Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 21, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Hdmi out to rg6 in
    I have been using an older satellite set top box with a standard coax cable output on 2 older CRT TVs, that have only cable connectors in. These 2 TVs are only used when the grand kids visit. The box has died and all the replacement boxes seem to now only have HDMI outputs. Is there any type of adapter that will convert the HDMI output to the old fashioned cable type hat will allow me to continue the use of these older TVs?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Do you know the model of the receiver your going to use? It may have the option of using RCA jacks. HDMI to 70 ohm coax isn't going to happen.

Nov 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
    Thanks califdadof3 for your answer. Since I live in Canada, the satellite box will probably be a Bell Canada unit that comes with both an IR and UHF remote. The one that died was a Bell 4700 and used a UHF remote, allowing me to install it in the basement which was convenient for me. I will have to research exactly which unit I can buy. Obviously the box I need is not HD but my thinking is that that kind of box will be hard to find these days. From your comment, I kind of suspect that if the sat box outputs to RCA jacks, that I could get an adapter that will bring that down to a cable type of connector? Unfortunately the 2 CRTs I want to use only have cable inputs, and nothing else.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchy View Post
    Thanks califdadof3 for your answer. Since I live in Canada, the satellite box will probably be a Bell Canada unit that comes with both an IR and UHF remote. The one that died was a Bell 4700 and used a UHF remote, allowing me to install it in the basement which was convenient for me. I will have to research exactly which unit I can buy. Obviously the box I need is not HD but my thinking is that that kind of box will be hard to find these days. From your comment, I kind of suspect that if the sat box outputs to RCA jacks, that I could get an adapter that will bring that down to a cable type of connector? Unfortunately the 2 CRTs I want to use only have cable inputs, and nothing else.
    No you can't get RCA jacks to get down to coax. To do that you would need an inverter that would broadcast at that level.

They make boxes now that you can put the TV in any room and it will show what is on the receiver.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2011, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    No you can't get RCA jacks to get down to coax. To do that you would need an inverter that would broadcast at that level.

They make boxes now that you can put the TV in any room and it will show what is on the reciever.
    Actually... yes you can. It's called an RF modulator. You run the RCA connections into the RF modulator, and it outputs the AV signal out to channel 3 or 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchy View Post
    I have been using an older satellite set top box with a standard coax cable output on 2 older CRT TVs, that have only cable connectors in. These 2 TVs are only used when the grand kids visit. The box has died and all the replacement boxes seem to now only have HDMI outputs. Is there any type of adapter that will convert the HDMI output to the old fashioned cable type hat will allow me to continue the use of these older TVs?
    You should be able to contact your satellite company to see how they handle this kind of stuff now. Some companies will give you the new boxes or lease them to you. You aren't forced to purchase the boxes out-right anymore, and in some cases doing so may cause unnecessary confusion when trying to activate them.

Nov 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
    Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help. Collectively you have given me some ideas and I will do more research, especially with my satellite company. Not knowing what you guys are talking about ( technologically speaking) I am thinking it may be cheaper to buy a new smaller LCD TV. But before I do, I will definitely check out the ideas presented. It may take a while, but I will report back with whatever turns out to be the solution, to bring closure and help someone else hopefully.
    Thanks again
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 22, 2011, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post
    Actually... yes you can. It's called an RF modulator. You run the RCA connections into the RF modulator, and it outputs the AV signal out to channel 3 or 4.

There is no direct cable. You still need a box as I had explained earlier. Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my explination.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2011, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    There is no direct cable. You still need a box as I had explained earlier. Maybe I wasnt clear enough in my explination.
    Technically they are the same type of cable (RCA is a coaxial cable) and F-type to RCA adapters exist. You can even put RCA compression ends on a coax wire. It's the type of signal that is being sent across the line that cannot be changed with just a direct cable.

But now I'm splitting hairs. :-P
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2012, 07:28 PM
    http://www.milestek.com/p-13559-
    How about something like this:
    hdmi-over-single-rg6-sdi-coax-extender-set.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_camp aign=extenders&utm_term=%20HDMI%20on%20%20coax&utm _content=text&

I didn't say it would be cheap

Feb 9, 2012, 06:02 PM
    Thanks to all who responded. I checked out the suggestion by Stratmando, and he his right on about not cheap. I could replace the TV with an LCD 32' for that kind on money, and then buy a current issue satellite box and use HDMI cables. What I did in the end was to find a Craig's List ad for the same satellite box that died at a reasonable price $50 locally, so I bought it. At least I can still use a perfectly good CRT TV for when the grandkids come and want to watch "their" shows.
    Thanks again to all who responded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get splitters for rg6 or rg8 cable [ 1 Answers ]

I want to run the cable to my garage and need to split my cable. Thanks partsman35

CanI connect hdmi on laptop to hdmi on my surround sound system? [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to know,if I can hook up the hdmi on the laptop to hdmi input on the surround sound and have it work. I'musing the headphone jack now but it's a sh$#*y connection.

Ybpr cables or dvi to hdmi? Or hdmI? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is best, and I would like to know why? I find the more expensive dvi to hdmi is not as high of a quality of 3dimension on my LCD TV from my HD cable box? The picture is clearer but the characters do not jump out the same as when I am using ybpr.

RG6 cable for Line level audio [ 3 Answers ]

We need one pair 22AWG for one channel line level audio(Left or right).We also can use one RG6 coax cable for one channel line level audio.There is only one center conductor in side RG6 .How can that RG6 work for line level audio? It looks like we need two RG6.

RG6 cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am running wire for my satellite dish for my basement. There are two types of RG6 at Lowe's. RG6 and Digital RG6. What does the satellite and cable companies use. I can buy 250' of digital and 500' of the regular both for $70 I don't know what's best.

View more questions Search