Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janeeng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Who can claim in custody situations
    My husband has primary custody during the school year. His ex wife has primary in the 3 summer months. H&R Block said my husband legally can claim his child because he has him more than 50% of the year. His ex said that is not true. Who is correct. My husband already filed and claimed him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 07:21 PM
    In most child custody, the court at the time of the child custody agreement states who will take credit for which years.

If not, Block is correct whoever the child lives more than 50 percent of the custody time with.

It is common for the ex to never agree, get used to that.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 09:53 PM
    Fr Chuck has covered it all.

First, check the divorce decree.

Then, time of custodianship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody or the lack of custody [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father and I have never gone to court to determine custody. Well he just told me that he is sending my son in a week out of state to his grandmas for 6 weeks. I do not agree with that. Two weeks would have been OK. He already bought the ticket. Is there anyway I can legally stop...

What should I claim on my W4 [ 2 Answers ]

I am projecting that I will make around 51k this year and my wife should make around 39k. Last year we both claimed Single, 0 on our W4's and filed our taxes jointly. We have 1 child and I was wondering if it would be better for us to change what we claim on our W4. Does anyone have any suggestions...

Living Situations & The Money [ 4 Answers ]

My Mom left my Father a year ago, however she never asked for child support. To keep peace within my family I juggled living back and forth between my parents. Now after a year I have come to the decision that I can not live with my Father. All he cares about is the money. He makes my Mother split...

Who can I claim [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is disabled and has no other income besides SSI. I help her out 50% of the time, can I claim her on my taxes as a dependent?

Claim as Dependent? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B and my wife is on H4. My son is a US citizen who was born in 2004. My wife and kid were out of US for 11 and a half months visiting my country on a vacation. I have the following questions: 1. Can I still file with "Married Filling Jointly" status? 2. Can I still claim my...

View more questions Search