Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonow Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 08:03 PM
    Can husband who is on H1B and wife who is on Opt file taxes jointly
    Hello experts,

Husband is on H1B and wife has been working on OPT for last 8 months. We have been filing taxes jointly till last year when she had no income. Wife passes substantial presence test.

Wife's employer hasn't deducted FICA (Social security, medicare) taxes.

1. Can we file taxes jointly. If we can, do we need to pay back FICA taxes, if so how do we do it.

2. If not, can we file resident tax return for husband and non-resident tax return for wife. If that is the case, how long can we file separate tax returns before we can start filing jointly.

Thanks for providing this useful service.

Nov 20, 2011, 08:11 PM
    Small correction to the question: Wife has been on F1 this whole year, so I guess she doesn't meet Substantial Presence test.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
    1) You CAN file jointly and your wife be treated as a resident alien for all of 2011 WITHOUT paying the FICA taxes; this is clearly delineate in the second paragraph of the link below:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0, id=96370,00.html

2) Not applicable, since you CAN (and SHOULD) file jointly.

If you need professional help filing, email me at [email protected].

Nov 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
    Thank you AtlantaTaxExpert. I am confused as you suggested to file separately on another question with similar situation. Can you please explain.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-179194.html
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/husband-f1-wife-opt-h1b-married-filing-jointly-329191.html
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 23, 2011, 07:27 AM
    The first posting was OVER four years ago; at that time, I thought that someone who filed jointly DID obligate themselves to pay FICA taxes, but I later learned, after further research, that it did not.

However, sometimes I do advise married clients to file separately if the FICA taxes are mistakenly withheld.

In such cases, the F-1 spouse MUST file a tax return before filing Form 843 to get her FICA taxes back, and the return MUST be a non-resident alien return (Form 1040NR). If she does not file the tax return, the IRS puts the FICA refund on hold until the return is filed, and if the return filed is a resident return (Form 1040), the IRS then rejects the FICA refund request, even though their own website specifically states that she is NOT liable for the FICA taxes.

I know that makes no sense, but that IS the process at the IRS.
    Bhuvanlagaan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2012, 12:24 AM
    Hello AtlantaTaxExpert, the IRS link you are citing is under "business" section. Does it apply to H1,F1 tax payers? I am in same boat ths year, so want to confirm if I can really file jontly. I was on H1 and wife on F1 for entire 2011. Your feedback is much appreciated.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2012, 11:39 PM
    Yes, you CAN file jointly and yes, your wife will WILL be exempt from FICA taxes.
    lalji Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
    Atlanta tax expert,
    Just so I understand correctly if spouse is on OPT(F1) and husband is on H1B can they file taxes together using 1040 resident tax return?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 12:23 PM
    Yes, that is correct.

The wife just has to sign a statement that she CHOOSES to be treated as a resident for all of 2012.

Feb 24, 2013, 12:27 PM
    What if the husband and wife chooses to file taxes electronically using 1040 tax return
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Then the SIGNED statement can be mailed using Form 8453 as a transmittal form.

Feb 24, 2013, 03:21 PM
    And if we file paper return can wife write a separate letter indicating she chooses to be considered resident for tax purposes and send it along with federal return?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
    If you file a paper return, just sign the statement and staple it to the tax return.
    F1taxfile2012 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

We are in the same situation as above. H1b husband and F1 spouse, who was on H4 until Dec 1 2012. Based on your suggestion, we are going to file Married File Jointly for 2012 electronically. However when I saw Form 8453 on IRS website, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf says:

"FILE THIS FORM ONLY IF YOU ARE ATTACHING ONE OR MORE
    OF THE FOLLOWING FORMS OR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS. Check the applicable box(es) to identify the attachments."

The option for a Signed statement to be chosen as Resident alien isn't listed under it. What should I do to submit that statement? Is there an alternate form?

Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 22, 2013, 03:52 PM
    The Residency Choice Statement is considered to be a "SUPPORTING DOCUMENT".

I have spoken at length with the IRS about this, and they WANT you to efile if at all possible.

Mar 27, 2013, 04:02 PM
    Thanks so much AtlantaTaxExpert.

My wife got her SSN last month. Can we first efile (say, today), then (tomorrow) send the form 8453 + Supporting letter for Residency Choice Statement + Supporting letter to void ITIN and use new SSN (as per http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Additional-ITIN-Information) all together?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 04:10 PM
    Yes, that should work if the ITIN has not yet been issued.

Mar 27, 2013, 04:16 PM
    Sorry for the confusion. But the ITIN has been issued 3 years ago. We have been filing taxes on her ITIN (and my ssn) for last 3 years. But last month she got the SSN. Does that still work?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 04:26 PM
    If that has happened, the IRS has already been informed about the SSN and has already canceled her ITIN.

Efile.

Apr 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert.

Actually, when I tried to eFile, the system didn't recognize her new SSN and so I had to call the IRS, who advised me to use the ITIN for eFile for now because their system seems to have not updated yet. I did file with ITIN and sent the Residency Choice Statement as a SUPPORTING DOCUMENT along with another letter informing about the new SSN and attaching a copy too.

Now when I try to file Maryland State taxes, should I do the same thing or just try and file under the new SSN?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wife OPT+H1b(wrongly FICA taxes withheald).Husband H1b [ 2 Answers ]

My wife was on Opt from Feb-2008 to sept 2008 and since oct-08 she is on h1b... while I am on h1b since 2 yrs... by mistake my wife's employer has deducted social security and medicare taxes(she being international student is not liable to pay this taxes).. in order to claim I have found out we...

Husband on F1 Wife on OPT-H1B married filing jointly [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My husband is on F1 since 2007 August, I came to US in Aug 2005 on F1 and worked on OPT from Jan 2008 to Oct 2008 and then currently working on H1B from Oct 1st 2008.I earn 60k per year. We got married in December 2008.I wish to file my 2008 taxes for April 09. But I have the following...

Wife on OPT+H1b and Husband on h1b.what form to file! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I am on h1b since 2 yrs while my wife.. she was on opt till sept 30-2008.. and on h1b since oct-08 We need to file joint return as we need to claim her student loan interest deduction.. Also she has 2 W2 one from her college job while other from her present employer. Can somebody...

I am on OPT (F-1) and my wife is on F-2. File taxes jointly using ITIN [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am currently on OPT on F-1 and my wife is on F-2 visa. Can I file the taxes jointly by applying for a ITIN (using the W-7 form)? If yes, can I submit the 1040A form + W-2s with the W-7? Thanks :) Siddharth

I live in Texas (H1B) and wife in NY (F1 Student) - File taxes jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before - but I was unable to find it in the forums. I am a foreign citizen on an H1B living in Texas. Since I have been here in the US long enough, I am a resident for tax purposes, and have filed as such for the past few years. My wife...

View more questions Search