Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcnam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Do I have to pay us taxes on sale of foreign property?
    I'm a retired US citizen. My family just sold some (vacant) overseas property in which I was part owner. What do I need to do if I want to transfer my share to my account in the US? Do I have to pay US taxes on the sale?
    Gryphyn34 Posts: 49, Reputation: 8

Nov 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
    I don't think you will need to pay taxes on the sale but you may have to pay taxes on them as income at the end of the year. I'm not 100 percent on this. Contact the IRS and they will be able to tell you.
    mcnam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
    Thanks but that wasn't really very helpful. Perhaps you need more information?

My parents are US citizens who have lived overseas for the last 40 years. About 15 years ago, my father closed his overseas factory and has left it "rotting". He was recently approached by a buyer, has decided to sell, and wants to split the proceeds 5 ways (between himself, my mother, and his 3 kids - we're all US citizens) My siblings and I live in the US. I am retired, they are still working. Dad has not received all the payment installments yet, but is planning on transferring the money to an account in the US when he completes the sale (prior to April 1, 2012). We are concerned about the tax liabilities (especially to my siblings who are in higher tax brackets), and I am trying to find out how he can do this (give us each our share, bring money to US) without incurring any tax liability (either to himself or to us).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
    In your first post you said you were a part-owner of the property, but in your second post you imply that your father is the sole owner and he wants to make a cash gift to you after he sells the property. Depending on which scenario is correct you have different tax consequences:

1. If your father is the sole owner then when he sells and makes a cash gift to you there are no tax consequences for you at all, because gifts are not taxable and there is no tax on transferring money from foreign countries into the US. Of course your father may have tax consequences in the country where he resides and/or where the property is located.

2. If you are actually a part-owner of the property when it sells then you must report your share of the proceeds and your cost basis, and calculate a capital gain based on that. If you have a profit from the sale you would pay US income tax at most likely a 15% tax rate. You would also have to report the sale to the tax authorities in the country where the property is located, and would most likely have some tax consequences from that, but the good news is you can take a credit on your US taxes for foreign taxes you've paid.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes due on foreign property sale? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are US citizens and my wife's mom passed in 2006 leaving her residential proeprty in Mexico which we do not live in but we do rent to offset maintenance expenses. Since 2006 we subdivided the residential proeprty into 2 pieces to make it easier to sell, a single family residence, and...

Do I need to pay any real estate property taxes to the IRS on foreign property? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a US Citizen with real estate property in another country. I currently reside on the US. The properties are currently rented. Do I need to pay any real estate property taxes to the IRS? I know I should include this income in my tax return. But is there any tax for owning the property that I...

US taxes on sale of inherited foreign property [ 2 Answers ]

My father left a house in India after he died 5 years ago. The house finally got sold now and the proceeds according to his will were split 3 ways among 3 children. I am US permanent resident living in US for 20 years and file US taxes. I will owe taxes to India on this property and the net...

Taxes on sale of foreign inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen I inherited a property 30 yrs ago from my mother in Colombia. I have never rented it, lived in it for 18 yrs until my return to US in 2002. Will be selling it for US $135,000 . I will be buying a rental in the US with most of this . I own one property in Florida since 2004 where...

Do I have to pay taxes on a property sale abroad? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I sold our house in Germany and moved to the US. We had to pay taxes on the sale in Germany. Do we have to pay taxes in the US? I am a US Citizen but my husband is German.

View more questions Search