Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neil69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 01:42 AM
    Dog waking during the night
    We have a 11 year old staffordshire bull terrier, who recently has been waking us during the night at different times by scratching at door down stairs, sometimes wanting to go out to do his business other times not. We have tried changing meal times, distance of walks instead of 2 long walks he now gets shorter but more often 3 to 4 times a day including one before bed time. When let outside during the night he sometimes just stands there doing nothing until you call him back in. the only way he will settle is if one us sleeps downstairs on th sofa, then he often goes back to bed or sleeps in the sitting room.
    HotHoneyVintage Posts: 231, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
    I have a dog but he is younger then your dog. Listen I think he either is having problem holding his bladder/urine or it sound like he knows if he whine a ittle bit at night you will let him go out haha. So now he is doing that over and over again. Imo I think you should ignores him and let him see you will not fall for it, but only do that if you know he just used bathroom and really doesn't need to go. Maybe have his bladder checked then
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Older dogs can become disoriented, have sleep problems, become forgetful and have aches and pains, just like people.

I would speak to the Vet, see if he's in good health and then determine the best course of action. Sometimes (particularly you've owned the dog for a while and can "read" him) and you KNOW he's just asking for attention you can ignore him. If he settled down when you are near he may just need/want more "company/companionship" now that he's older.

I'd first be sure he's physically okay before even thinking about ignoring him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 month old waking up night [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 month old son was never really a good sleeper. He only sleeps around 2 hours a day in 30 min. periods and goes to sleep at 8pm. He wakes up a few times and sometimes nothing really helps him to go back to sleep. When I put him in the bed he falls asleep OK. I have to hold his hands in the...

Dog waking in night, but doesn't seem to need anything... [ 1 Answers ]

My 12 year old dal has started a very strange nightly "routine". We have had the same routine for years - she goes to her crate at the foot of our bed nightly, gets a treat and nighty night until morning. In the past years, when she has felt sick, or needed to go out and potty/ upset stomach,...

Dog waking up in middle of night - but just wants to sniff around? [ 2 Answers ]

My 12 year old dal has started a very strange nightly "routine". We have had the same routine for years - she goes to her crate at the foot of our bed nightly, gets a treat and nighty night until morning. In the past years, when she has felt sick, or needed to go out and potty/ upset stomach,...

Puppy suddenly waking during night [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old bulldog. Up until about 2 weeks ago, he slept all the way through the night in his crate. Now he has started waking up 1 or 2 times every night, barking. I bring him outside and he pees. Then I put him back in his crate. I don't understand why this suddenly started...

Why is my 7 month old waking during the night [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 month old baby boy used to sleep right through the night but lately he's been waking once or more during the night he's not hungry and not in pain any ideas

View more questions Search