Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweeetgerrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 12:23 AM
    Dead beat dad rights ? NJ, Child Abadonment, Removing parental rights
    A little background on my situation. I had a child at 17 yrs old with an 18 yr old guy. I left the father when my son was 6 months old due to physical abuse. It was not safe for my child. He has only seen our son a hand full of times since then, and not at all in the past 4 years. I do currently have a child support order but he owes $10500 and now owns a business in his gf's name. My son has had a very horrible time dealing with all of this, goes therapy, and still has random outbursts that he blames on missing his dad. His father now lives in Louisiana and has no interest in contacting his son, or visiting him. A woman at the child support office informed me that there is not much NJ can do about him not paying because he lives in LA and They will not take child support from him if he owns his own business. And will not investigate the fact that he has everything in his gf's name. I would like to know if anyone has experienced any of the situations before, or any facts regarding the law. I am looking to take his rights away, or possibly filing abandonment charges. Eventually would like to change my sons last name, or possibly have my future husband adopt him. I have read a lot of the posts on here and am aware of other states laws, but I have not found to many regarding my situation and have a hard time understanding the laws in NJ. Any opinions are appreciated, but mostly looking for laymans terms of the law. Thanks in advance
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 05:09 AM
    You hound the child support people. There is no reason that La can't collect the child support. Someone is telling you a lie. Right now they may be overwhelmed but that is not your problem. You could also try contacting a private agency for collection of the arrears. Forget about removal of rights until there is someone to adopt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 20, 2011, 06:47 AM
    I believe your situation has been addressed many times in threads here as well as by sticky notes at the top of this forum.

Right now he is not exercising any of his rights so there is no reason to try to terminate them. If you should marry, then you can pursue an step parent adoption.

If you want to try and change your child's name, go to court and file for a name change. Unless he appears to protest the change, there is a good chance the court will grant it. If not, you can use any name you want except where a legal name is required.

As for the child support. Even if the business is in the girlfriends name there are things that can be done. NJ can try and seize his tax return or garnish his salary. You do have to keep after them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In nys if a dead beat dad signs over his parental rights to a step parent... [ 2 Answers ]

In nys if a dead beat dad signs over his parental rights to a step parent does he still have to pay back medicade the medical support court ordered to him or does it go to the adoptive parent to pay? Mys sons biological father wants to sign his rights over to my fiancé which we are happy about he...

Child of dead beat dad [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I recently found out that my dad died. I only met a few times in my life. He never was around when I was growing up and didn't pay child support. My mom had liens on everything but he would just put everything in my step mothers name so we couldn't get to it. We live in California and he...

Dead Beat Dad wants to sign over parental rights in NH [ 2 Answers ]

My daughters father is a drug addict in rehab right now, he has not bought a single thing for her besides a bag of diapers, which 3 days later asked me to pay him back for. He is a 26 year old child, while I am only 19 trying my hardest to do well for my daughter and raise her as best as I can. He...

View more questions Search