Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwertyasdfg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Splitting rent in a two bedroom, one master w/bath and one 2nd smaller room
    A longtime friend and I have decided to become roommates. The thing is that I haven't seen the place yet. The following descriptions are based on my roommates' opinions and pictures and video roomie has sent me and that I've viewed on the web.

The place we're considering has one master with a large bathroom (this one has a built in vanity) as well as a small private balcony (fits two people) with sliding glass doors--all in the master bedroom. The master is located in the back of the apartment. Approximately 144 sq ft, just the bedroom space not including the private balcony and bathroom.

The second has a "regular" sized window, a little larger than 1/4 of the wall, not a floor to (almost the) ceiling window like the master. No private bathroom, no balcony, and shares a wall with the living room. Approximately 110 sq ft. This 2nd bedroom separates the master from the living room with a hallway going through the 2nd bedroom door. The bathroom for this room is straight across the hall from the 2nd room. Whoever gets this room also gets the carport (not a garage), the standard shoe/coat closet in the dining room, and also the storage space downstairs but it is outside. I don't know if it is locked or not, but I did read that you could fit a bicycle in it.

So... the master gets these pluses: 1) a private balcony, 2) large bathroom with built in vanity, 3) a larger bedroom closet, 4) larger bedroom by 34 sq feet.

The 2nd room gets these pluses: 1) carport, 2) possible medium to large outside (i.e. out of unit) closet sized downstairs storage, possibly with a lock (my roomie saw the place but didn't check). I'm assuming the dining room shoe/coat closet, plus the 2nd br closet will be the same size as the master's closet.

How much rent should each occupant pay? There will be two roommates, one in each room.

Any help is appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
    You start by taking the total sq footage and then seeing what percentages you each use. Then negotiate from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Very rough figure, one pays about 4/7 of the rent the other about 3/7 but then a lot depends on the needs of each other.
    qwertyasdfg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:10 PM
    Thanks people! That's what I thought and all the math oriented people have told me but if you have any more opinions, similar or not, I'd like to know them. THANKS IN ADVANCE

P.S. WE BOTH want the master bedroom. Lol. I don't care about the carport I drive a dinky 6 y.o. stock model vehicle and roomie has a $40K+ car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New plumbing from beginning to end 1 bath 1 kitchen house... May add 2nd bath [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Mr. Tom, I'm rehabbing a house from beginning to end. Everything is gutted out walls, plumbing and all.. I have a Stink stack and just cold water lines ran. How and where do I begin on running all new plumbing for my house.. Approx how hard would it be and what would it cost? I consider...

Circuit breaker for master bedroom and bath trips about once a month for many years, [ 2 Answers ]

Circuit breaker for master BR and bath trip about once a month since moving into house 6 years ago. It usually happens late at night when few electrical items are on - small lamp, TV, cable box, alarm clock. No problem when lots of things going, like all of the same plus hairdryer, charger for...

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr [ 1 Answers ]

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr. This was verified with the use of a light indicator probes by checking the power on the outlets screws. The breakers were checked the same way, however there is power going to the breakers. One outlet that has the...

Adding master bath to 1 bath home [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to add a master suite and bathroom to a 2 bed 1 bath slab home. The existing bath is behind a wall adjacent to the space where I will add the bath. My main concern is how I tie into the drain lines. I assume I will have to chip the slab or is there a way to elevate the toilets and tie...

Splitting Rent with fiancŽ [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure which category this would fall under. I live with my fiancé and have a son from a previous marriage. We are all three planning on moving to a bigger apartment, which is more expensive. I make a little bit more ( a couple of thousand) than my fiancé does a year. Previously, we had...

View more questions Search