Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingpin56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 06:28 PM
    How do I get my 29 year old daughter and her 9 year son to live on there own
    She seems very comfortable living with us and shows no signs of wanting to live on her own. She makes good money at her job but at the end of the month she would get a letter from the bank for insufiecent funds. We do have her pay us rent for the month. The only other bills she has are car insurance and cell phone. I know she makes good money to live on her own. We put the food on the table for her and our grandson. We live in a big house and would like to down size our home but with the kids still in our home it makes it hard to down size.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
    Let her know of your plans to downsize. Give a specific time frame that you are looking at. Then mention to her that it should give her plenty of time to find a place for her and your grandson, and that you would love to go with her to check out different places that are close by. If you are able to hold onto the rent money she gives you, or at least part of it, you can give it back when she finds a place to use as a deposit and first month's rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 06:51 PM
    In addition to the above, ask her if she needs help with a budget ?
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
    You have the perfect excuse- you are going to put the house up for sale, and downsize.

She is 29, has a good job, and a nine year old son to raise. That she doesn't manage her money well, is not because she doesn't have enough of it. She chooses no to.

I agree with Chuck, that you might want to offer help to organize a budget, if she wants to.

And Doula's suggestion of setting aside rent money for her first and last, is a good, and very generous gesture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 11 year old son wants to live with me [ 4 Answers ]

My boy has been asking when he can come and live with me for over 4 years now. My ex lets me see him just about whenever I want and as long as she gets the child support she is fine. The moment she doesn't get her way, all hell breaks loose and that will not ever change. I am adding that because...

My 17 year old daughter wants to live with me [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 year/3 month old daughter wants to live with me and not with her mother. I am divorced and do pay child support. My daughter has not been happy for years because my ex-wife makes it hard for my daughter. Can she live with me legally? I live in NH.

My 14-year old son wants to live with me. Is this possible? [ 13 Answers ]

Just got a job offer out of state, and am moving with my wife and two daughters And my son says he will stop at nothing to come with me since he has been wanting To live with me for his high school years. He is a straight-A's honors student and knows what he wants and what Is good for him....

16 year old son wants to live with his dad [ 4 Answers ]

My 16-year-old son no longer wishes to live with his mother. His grades are poor and his mother is seldom home to assist him. She doesn't use the support money from me each week to put away for my son's schooling, for clothing or activities. She's even tapped into his savings account and used...

My 12 year old son wants to live with his dad [ 4 Answers ]

My sons father and I have been apart for almost 8 years. After about a year and a half I met someone and we have been together since. We have a 5 year old son together and my 12 year old adores his baby brother. My 12 year olds father is a great dad and has always taken care of what he has to as a...

View more questions Search