Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karissa.elise Posts: 98, Reputation: -4

Nov 19, 2011, 09:34 AM
    Is this a scam
    So I replied to a job add a guy wanted a assist so he basically told me I have the job and that il getting a payment froma client and process the payment at my bank and send it to his supplier .ill also be scedualling flight and basic thing and assistant would do.. but I haven't met him or talked on the phone only email my boyfriend think I shouldn't do it and doesn't trust that he wants me to handle checks but I think it'l be OK I'm just not sure do skams like that happen ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Your boyfriend is right. This is a common scam. He sends you a check, you deposit it then send your own check to his supplier, only the check you are sent bounces and you are left holding the bag. RUN from this.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 09:42 AM
    Yes, of course it's a scam - there's no logical reason for what you are being asked to do.

Here is more info - http://www.tequesta.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=3194

Nov 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
    Is this a scam?
    So I replied to a job add on craigslist a guy wanted a personal assist so he basically told me I have the job and that il getting a payment froma client and process the payment at my bank and send it to his supplier .ill also be scedualling flight and basic thing and assistant would do.. but I haven't met him or talked on the phone only email my boyfriend think I shouldn't do it and doesn't trust that he wants me to handle checks but I think it'l be OK I'm just not sure do skams like that happen ?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
    This is a man in the middle scam, you are basically laundering money, often with stolen or fake cheques.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    This is a man in the middle scam, you are basically laundering money, often with stolen or fake cheques.

And in some places the OP could be charged with a crime, then she will have to argue that she didn't know the checks were stolen or fake.

What is your experience with the rest of your potential job responsibilities, such as scheduling flights?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 03:35 PM
    As others have said... scam. Stop contact with this idiot before you lose everything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 04:10 PM
    This is a very famous scam, first they tell you a lot of "duties" that you will never get asked to do. What they start at, is having you deposit checks into your personal account and then they will want normally a money order but may ask you to send them a check but money orders are normally done, since they can't be tracked and can be picked up anywhere in the world.

So what happens, the first check sometimes is actually good but normally they are fraud or stolen checks, so there is a real account, so the check clears, but in the next one to two months the owner of that account finds out there is money stolen, and you can end up being charged if you don't pay it back. Or you are charged and have to pay it back.

Very famous scam.

Nov 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
    Yeah frank, he said after I cashed the check id have to westeren unon it to him and then hed have some erands for ,e to run later that week. But if I meet him and its OK should I go though with it I mean it could NOT be a scam? But if this is the first thing I have to do before even meeting him I mean nobody would send a huge check to someone they don't know or even met

Nov 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Haha sorry I mean chuck*
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
    I suggest you go back and read the what you have been told. This is a common scam. There is NO reason for you to cash checks for anyone.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 08:01 PM
    He is not going to "meet" with you, and yes he is going to send you a large check, could be 1000's of dollars, no reason not to, since it is fake, a fraud, he will bounce in a month or two, so he is not out anything.

What happens, he sends you lets say 5000 dollars, and you are suppose to western union 4000 to him. Well in a month, the bank calls you and gives you 10 days to pay the 4000 dollars back or they press charges against you for fraud. So you have to pay all the money back,

Nov 19, 2011, 08:03 PM
    Yeah okay. Thanks I just wasn't sure if this happened often or at all or if my boyfriend was paraniod. But thanks.
    Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 08:06 PM
    Happens 1000's of times a day throughout many nations.

I get about 4 or 5 of these emails a day, and I see two or three adds like this a week on craigslist.

We get people here every month asking how to get out of jail or not be in trouble after they have did it.

Nov 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
    Wow. It so believable too. Like he been talking to me for a few daysi don't know. Kind of crazy thanks guys..
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2011, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karissa.elise View Post
    yeah frank, he said after i cashed the check id have to westeren unon it to him and then hed have some erands for ,e to run later that week. but if i meet him and its ok should i go though with it i mean it could NOT be a scam? but if this is the first thing i have to do befor even meeting him i mean nobody would send a huge check to someone they dont know or even met

I disagree with "nobody would send a huge check to someone they didn't know or even met" (quoting you) - people WOULD send a huge fake check or check on a closed account to someone they don't know or "even met." Happens all the time, and that's why innocent but uninformed people end up with arrest records.

Nov 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Yes I said nobody would send a huge check to someone like that, except like this when it's a scam.
    Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 04:01 PM
    Just as a note, I saw at least 6 of these scams on craigs list here in Atlanta posted just today.

Nov 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Wow crazy.. so last nighti got a message from the man asking if we could speak on Yahoo messenger and I said I didn't have it could he call my cell and I got a message saying his email had been disabled or something.. so its over. Thanks guys.
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2011, 06:59 AM
    There was just a set-up to arrest one of these scam "artists" in my area. I have no idea why other areas don't do the same thing.

In this case it was a she - she turned the check over to the "employee" and was promptly arrested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Campbell, Cohen (Attorneys at Law) is scam or not scam? [ 7 Answers ]

If anyone can tell my please answer me

Yes it is a scam [ 4 Answers ]

2 white dudes caught me on rockaway blvd in queens Olin ross r a scam

Is getting TV on your PC a scam? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to use the internet to receive TV channels. I am not talking about buying a "tv card" so I can hook up a TV cable. I am talking about buying the software legally and getting it set up on my PC. Is it possible to do this and if so what are some of the best sites that offer this service?

Scam? [ 2 Answers ]

I was contacted by National Small Business Alliance today and made the big mistake of thinking they were a legitimate business and gave them my bank information. Granted they said it was for a $1.00 charge today and then in 30 days the monthly fee would be $29.95. I wish I had gone onto the web...

View more questions Search