Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Well,

Was just watching CNN. Some unofficial reports (and sorry this is very unpleasant), is that
    She may have chocked on her own vomit (sorry I know that's gross). How can that be??
    They said the pulled her bedspread down and that's what they found.

Her lawyer was on and said that Howard is just grief stricken and the lawyer said that Howard is not too far from going over the edge.

My oh my.

Sorry this is all so grim. I need to watch a Happy story or something.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Her son that died did not die 2 years ago, but rather 4 months ago. He died in the hospital room that Anna was in after giving birth to her daughter. Anna woke up to him dead in her room.
    Yes, her son did die only 4 months ago.

What I meant was her former husband (the billionaire), his son died about 2 years ago.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 9, 2007, 09:27 AM
    It is very easy to choke that way for people who sleep on their backs and are very impaired or "out" too much. Its inhaled with their breath in a flash and then its all over. Its more common than you might realise, especially among the addicts and alkies. My neighbors' youngest son (on antabuse and then drank) died that way when I was a kid.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Oh my. Guess it just was her time.

Sorry to ask this, is it automatic. Do they die right away?

Feb 9, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Sorry, I have no idea... Janine??
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 9, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Howard K. Stern was not legally married to Anna. Unless he can prove paternity, he is now out of the loop.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 10:20 AM
    It is called aspiration. Immediate death all depends on the amount of aspiration. It also depends upon her level of consciousness when the aspiration occurred. So the autopsy will show how long she was alive after aspiration occurred if indeed that is what happened.

No, Howard K. Stern was not legally married, but he was listed as father on the birth certificate, so typically the child will most likely be awarded to him at least on a temporary basis.

Who knows for sure though?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Here is an article I just found. Brings up all the issues that we are discussing here. Definitely becoming a bit of an intriguing scenario that we will continue to hear updates about from the media for a long time to come.

Updated:2007-02-09 07:06:50
    Death won't end legal battles
    By Maria Puente, USA TODAY
    USA Today
    Anna Nicole Smith is dead, but the Anna Nicole Smith litigation will live on - and multiply.

Smith's long legal battle to gain some of the millions from her billionaire late husband's estate - a case that went to the Supreme Court and produced an important ruling in 2006 - will continue despite her sudden and mysterious death Thursday in Florida.

The man she battled for a decade, her husband's son, Pierce Marshall, died just a month after the Supreme Court ruled in Smith's favor.

"My reaction was shock and sadness and an overwhelming sense of how much tragedy has surrounded this case," says Kent Richland, Smith's Los Angeles-based appellate attorney, who argued her case at the Supreme Court. "I've never seen a case like this, with more unexpected events that you could imagine."

Smith's case, which seeks as much as $474 million from her husband's estate, is back before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Richland says, and there's no telling when it could issue a ruling. Now that Smith is dead, the parties will be Pierce Marshall's estate (his wife and sons) vs. Smith's estate (her new baby, her other relatives and possibly the man who may be her new husband).

"The money claims can continue to be pursued by her estate," says Erwin Chemerinsky, a law professor at Duke University. "Some claims don't survive death - such as defamation and invasion of privacy - but her case did not involve those."

But now there are additional, and complicated, legal questions arising from Smith's messy and tragic life:

--Did she leave a will, and if so, what does it say about division of assets and custody of the baby girl, Dannielynn, to whom she gave birth five months ago in the Bahamas? If there is no will, which state (or country) has probate authority?

--Was Smith legally married to her lawyer, Howard K. Stern, who says they had a "commitment ceremony"? If legally married, Stern would be a beneficiary of her estate.

--Who is the father of Dannielynn: Stern or Smith's ex-boyfriend, Larry Birkhead? In determining custody, does DNA trump a will? Smith had been resisting a DNA test; will that go forward now that she's dead?

"In the USA, there are jurisdictions where it's a conclusive presumption that the husband is the father, even if a DNA test goes the other way," says Christopher Cline, a partner in estate planning and administration at Holland & Knight in Portland, Ore.

--Where was Smith's official domicile - in a U.S. state or the Bahamas? The answer could have a bearing on both assets and custody.

"A case such as this, with these exact facts, are few and far between," says Joshua Forman, a partner in New York matrimonial firm Chemtob Moss Forman & Talbert. "It's so far beyond normal it's ridiculous."

Feverish speculation and what-if talk commenced immediately after the news of Smith's death broke.

"If the marriage (to Stern) is proven to be legal, that does not necessarily mean he gets custody (of the baby) if the paternity is someone else," CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin declared on the network Thursday evening.

"We want to make sure people realize this is not a law school hypothetical - the complexity is enormous."

And what about the TrimSpa litigation? The diet-products company, for which Smith was a spokeswoman, has been sued in a class-action lawsuit that claims its marketing is false or misleading. Last month, the Federal Trade Commission announced TrimSpa would pay $1.5 million to settle allegations that the company's claims about weight loss were untrue, although TrimSpa denies any wrongdoing.

Copyright 2007 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Feb 9, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Oy, you can't write fiction this good. And what about the book and movie rights too?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
    OK, OK, Howard Stern did it. An undetectable poison from a small plant found deep in the Amazonian rain forest. Causes complete loss of motor function and bowels. Next, your major organs begin to melt like ice cream in the heat. Then, your heart explodes like a grenade. A horrible death. To bad.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Val, if you have any extra time, I think you and I should start doing the research and write our own "unauthorized" version. I smell biggg moneeeeeyyyyy to be made. Yee ha! :) Why should everyone else get rich off someone else's misery? I think it's my turn!

magprob, you can be our investigative advisor.

Feb 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Val, if you have any extra time, I think you and I should start doing the research and write our own "unauthorized" version. I smell biggg moneeeeeyyyyy to be made. Yee ha! :) Why should everyone else get rich off of someone else's misery? I think it's my turn!
    Hey thanks a bunch Ruby but shucks, actually :o...
    I am probably a little too busy with writing my autobiography at the moment :eek: LOL
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 11:05 AM
    The Derby Dead Pool
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Haha magprob. There is a radio personality, Howie Carr, that does the same thing.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 9, 2007, 11:20 AM
    I will always remember the Anna Nicole of 1993. I was still single... and she was everything (physically) of a woman that I was dreaming about. ;)

It was sad that every time I'd seen her after that, she was always whacked out... and wrapped up in one thing or another... so I guess it should not be a surprise that it ultimately ended for her that way.

Still... I am sure she is in a happier place now. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Your so right Philly

You know what makes me mad. Is they said on CNN that all the people around her, instead of helping her get clean, they just propped her up and sent her out to make more money. She was their mealticket. Guess they all will have to get real jobs now.

I know ultimately she was the one who hurt herself, but when you get so down like that, I don't think you are able to pull yourself out by yourself. You need someone who truly cares to scare you straight.

But yes, she is at great peace now.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Personally, I think Courtney Love is the perfect woman, when it comes to cheezy trailer trash that is. Let's face it, she has real talent, she has her own band and she doesn't play a bad guitar. I like that in a women. Anna Nicole Smith reminded me too much of Jane Mansfield... washed up fast. Granted, she had a set like bumper guards on a 58 cadillac, but I am more interested in the mind. That is why I like Courtney Love.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 12:14 PM
    LOL Never heard it referred that way "bumper guards".

I like Courtney's spunk as well. Courntey seems a bit stronger a person than Anna and I 've seen interviews where Courntey seemed sober, not sure if I've ever seen Anna that way.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
    I read that too - It seems Courtney Love has "cleaned up" and is taking a more professional approach to her career. I guess time will tell.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I have a big announcement to make and I wanted to make it here before CNN arrives. Ready? OK, I, magprob, am the father of Anna Nicole Smiths child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

Adam Smith [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: How does Adam Smith's allegory of the shopkeeper allege that capitalism solves the problem of human evil once and for all? How might one argue against this claim? What do you think?

View more questions Search