Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marega Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Feb 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Breaking lease due to medical condition
    I need to know if a elderly couple can get out of a reining lease due to a medical condition that does not allow or permit one to climb the inside stairs. They have a doctors write up stating such activity would endanger their health. They are both being put in assisted living and are OK giving up the security deposit but are not financially able to pay the remaining 6 months. They have lived there for 4 years and been good tenants.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 8, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marega
    I need to know if a elderly couple can get out of a reining lease due to a medical condition that does not allow or permit one to climb the inside stairs. They have a doctors write up stating such activity would endanger their health. They are both being put in assisted living and are ok giving up the security deposit but are not financially able to pay the remaining 6 months. They have lived there for 4 years and been good tenants.
    Have you talked to the landlord? Is this an apartment complex or a single/double? What state? They could always attempt to find a tenant to replace them; however, the house or apartment probably needs painting.

Feb 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by landlord advocate
    Have you talked to the landlord? Is this an apartment complex or a single/double? What state? They could always attempt to find a tenant to replace them; however, the house or apartment probably needs painting.
    They have and he's not pushing hard yet. They are sinking their money into a assisted living facility that can accommodate both of them. They are not that savvy at 83 to be anything but confused and approaching the stages of complete dependency. This is a 3 bedroom, upscale apartment in Birmingham Michigan. I highly doubt that there is damage or repair work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
    The assisted living is not a "rated medical" facility like that of a skill nursing center.

A landlord would only have to to do those accomidations that are reasonable and possible.

So while there are no laws that require him to release them, they may have to allow them to move to a ground level when available. Put in a ramp to a ground level, adapt a bathroom with rails.
    If the property is supported though government funds, more could be done.

But really while a court may let them win because they feel sorry for the older people, courts will do that, but most likely they should be able to work out an arrangement, since they should be able to rent it out quickly

Feb 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Considering the length of tenancy, the apartment should be re-painted and the carpeting cleaned etc. Since this is an upscale apartment building, they are not going to want bad press. Management should not have a problem renting in early spring. Talk to them, I bet they'll settle for the security deposit to cover expenses and let them out of the lease.

Feb 8, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    The assisted living is not a "rated medical" facility like that of a skill nursing center.

A landlord would only have to to do those accomidations that are reasonable and possible.

So while there are no laws that require him to release them, they may have to allow them to move to a ground level when available. Put in a ramp to a ground level, adapt a bathroom with rails.
    If the property is supported though government funds, more could be done.

But really while a court may let them win because they feel sorry for the older people, courts will do that, but most likely they should be able to work out an arrangement, since they should be able to rent it out quickly
    They have fallen down the steps numerous times fortunately with out injury. This is a larger complex and neither can maneuver with out assistance anymore. The doctors will not allow him to drive and she doesn't. I am sure that even giving the security deposit and paying a cleaning/painting fee would be OK. But they are being asked to do that AND pay the remaining amount for the 6-7 months amounting to almost 9000.00. Where they are now going will be almost 3 times the rent till they run out of money. They don't want to be unfair but they don't want to be broke either. I think their kids are pitching in somewhat, but they also are going to have to take care of a older adult child with emotional disabilities that has no place to go.
    Thanks everyone
    Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 06:10 PM
    I do understand this, but please look from the business side, this illness unless it was just sudden was getting worst 6 months ago, 18 months ago and so on,

Before the signed a new lease this should have been considered.

While I do understand and deal with handicap people all the time, this condition does not just get them out of it by some law, it does give them some defense in court if the landlord sues them after the move.

Best bet try and get something in writing on an agreement to move out eary

Feb 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I do understand this, but please look from the business side, this illness unless it was just sudden was getting worst 6 months ago, 18 months ago and so on,

Before the signed a new lease this should have been considered.

While I do understand and deal with handicap people all the time, this condition does not just get them out of it by some law, it does give them some defense in court if the landlord sues them after the move.

Best bet try and get something in writing on an agreement to move out eary

They had given the landlord notice in early Dec. and have started the moving process already. They should be out at the end of Feb. Due to there incapacities. I understand that it is a business deal and there are responsibilities on their part. But would there be any kind of insurance that would cover for this on either side? They have already sold off most of the things that has any worth and paid off other debt. They have been in good standing with this place so I will pass the negotiating info on.
    Thanks

Feb 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
    An upscale apartment complex is not going to want bad press. If this complex is one of several owned by the same company, bypass the manager and go up the ladder. Yes, the apartment owners can get a judgment against them. That isn't going to serve a purpose. The owners have to appear to treat the couple the same as they would any other tenant. Explain to the powers that be. Suggest a by-out equal to the security deposit. If that doesn't work, please write again. I would like to follow this one to a happy ending.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Hello Marega:

I would love to see this end happily too... But, I'm not optimistic.

Hopefully, the positive actions recommended here will have the desired effect. It IS the best course of action for everybody. However, it's been my experience that some small minded people may not see the bigger picture.

If that's the case, and you run into some resistance to your very reasoned proposals, do not cave. There ARE alternatives.

Look. I call myself what I do for a reason - not to scare you - but to put you on notice that my advice doesn't come from books. You should know that my history IS reflected in my advice... In the very first instance, that advice is grounded in the belief that, unless you're a soldier, you should NOT throw yourself on your sword...

In that vein, tucked in a corner in your very polite letters to management, should be the threat, that they won't go down quietly; that the press WILL be informed, and that they will fight them in court to their last breath!

If that doesn't work, I'll tell you how to get down and dirty with them (legally, of course).

excon
    Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 07:09 AM
    No standard homeowners insurance is going to pay for this, if they have a disability policy or a long term care policy there may be some payment from it, just for the disablity or need for long tirm care but not a specific payment for this. And since it is not a business but a rental a business rent continuation policy would not apply.

Basically this is just one of those things where if the landlord is a nice person, and wants to do the MORAL thing, they will let them out with only a one or two month penalty. Since from a honest veiw point if they are currently fully rented, they should have a waiting list of people to move in. Now if they are setting there currently with a couple empty apartments, they are not going to be as easy to rent the apartment out.

It would not hurt them to talk and perhaps help advertise the apartment for rent and help find a renter to move in when they move out.

But just honestly they don't have to let them out of the agreement for this, is it morally right, of course not, but law has nothing to do with what is right or wrong it only has to do with what the law and the contract says.

If there is some clause in their actual contract ( and I doubt it) that allows them to move for medical reasons, then no problem.

And again it just depends on how much bad press the place wants, many places will take a small loss not to have bad press.

But try working nice first, and don't talk with a clerk at a office, find out who can make the real decission, and who can make it in 2 minutes, the owner, or the president of the management company, don't deal with the lower level people on this.

Feb 9, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Marega:

I would love to see this end happily too...... But, I'm not optimistic.

Hopefully, the positive actions recommended here will have the desired effect. It IS the best course of action for everybody. However, it's been my experience that some small minded people may not see the bigger picture.

If that's the case, and you run into some resistance to your very reasoned proposals, do not cave. There ARE alternatives.

Look. I call myself what I do for a reason - not to scare you - but to put you on notice that my advice doesn't come from books. You should know that my history IS reflected in my advice..... In the very first instance, that advice is grounded in the belief that, unless you're a soldier, you should NOT throw yourself on your sword.....

In that vein, tucked in a corner in your very polite letters to management, should be the threat, that they won't go down quietly; that the press WILL be informed, and that they will fight them in court to their last breath!

If that doesn't work, I'll tell you how to get down and dirty with them (legally, of course).

excon
    Thanks... will try it without the "sharp edge" first... hopefully they can resolve it without drawing "blood" from any end.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2007, 07:20 AM
    A couple of points that haven't been covered. One is that they may be able to sublet depending on the lease terms. So if the landlord isn't willing to let them out of the lease, they have that option. Second, they could help by trying to find a replacement tenant.

But frankly I agree with advocate. Unless this is high vacancy area, the landlord stand to lose more by pursuing a case against this couple then by letting them go.

Feb 9, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    A couple of points that haven't been covered. One is that they may be able to sublet depending on the lease terms. So if the landlord isn't willing to let them out of the lease, they have that option. Second, they could help by trying to find a replacement tenant.

But frankly I agree with advocate. Unless this is high vacancy area, the landlord stand to lose more by pursuing a case against this couple then by letting them go.

Thanks everyone for your help. I just happened to "surf" over this site and find it very helpful. I will keep you posted. A;though this is not my normal "advocate" calling, It helps to know there are others out there to call on. Blessings
    M

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

Breaking a lease for medical reasons [ 2 Answers ]

I am an elderly 82-year-old woman who needs to move out of my third-floor apartment for medical reasons. Is there a way to break a lease without penalty because of this? I have been a tenant of the apartment complex for 23 years.

Breaking a Lease due to a murder in building and purchasing new home [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this site. I live in the state of NC. We were debating on moving out of our apartment and making an offer on our house. On Sunday we had a murder in our apartment in broad daylight about 300 yds from our apt. There was a suicide about 2 months ago. After the murder we...

Breaking lease due to Corp relocation in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Recently got new position which requires relocation. 1 year lease began Aug 2006 but must relocate by Feb 1 07. What can I expect in terms of breaking the lease ?

View more questions Search