Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christina4545 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 07:03 PM
    In the united states how old
    I am 12 years old and I was wondering how old you have to be to chose who you want to live with in the united states
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 07:04 PM

What's going on?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
    You posted this in travel, do you mean to travel by yourself to visit or to move to where they are.

You can't decide, at 18 and out of school you can move where you want. But until then you have to live where the court order says you are to live.

If you want to move to the other parent, they will have to file a motion in court to change custody orders. And produce evidence as to why this would be best, The other parent can fight the move. You may ( or may not) but at 12 normally you can testify in court as to what you want. The judge would normally question you as to why and what you think of the move. Also they will look at how long you have ever stayed or been at the other location.
    sweetlady9911 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
    If you are being abused or hurt call child protective services or the police or a teacher or a doctor, as they are mandated reporters and they will file a report for you. If you just want to live with another person, discuss the matter with them. If they are willing to fight for your right to live with them, go for it. In doing so, you will have to be strong enough to withstand the anger of the person's home you want to leave. Go for it if it is really in your heart.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 17, 2011, 07:59 PM
    I moved this from the Travel forum since it doesn't appear to be travel related.

As noted a child can not make the decision as to which parent to be primary custodian. Only a court can make that decision.

So explain to us what is going on and we can try to help.

Nov 17, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady9911 View Post
    If you are being abused or hurt call child protective services or the police or a teacher or a doctor, as they are mandated reporters and they will file a report for you. If you just want to live with another person, discuss the matter with them. If they are willing to fight for your right to live with them, go for it. In doing so, you will have to be strong enough to withstand the anger of the person's home you want to leave. go for it if it is really in your heart.
    It is nice that you want to help, but you need to be more careful with questions of a legal nature. We have to stick to statutory law here. Your answer makes assumptions about the reasons the OP wants to change. You might even be encouraging her to make a false report which would be wrong. Also it can't be just anyone who applies for custody.

We are proud of the standard for quality in responses here. So please take more care about the accuracy of your responses.
    Foxfyr31 Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Nov 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
    To leave it short and sweet IF your parents to to court you CAN tell the judge who you want to live with, but it is ultimately up to the judge or Familyservices mediator. They will look at every aspect and choose the home that will be in the best intrests of the minor child. "you"... other than that dependeing on what state you live in you could become legally amancipated at age 17 or when you turn 18 you are legally an adult and can live where you choose

Nov 18, 2011, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxfyr31 View Post
    to leave it short and sweet IF your parents to to court you CAN tell the judge who you want to live with, but it is ultimately up to the judge or Familyservices mediator. They will look at every aspect and choose the home that will be in the best intrests of the minor child. "you"..... other than that dependeing on what state you live in you could become legally amancipated at age 17 or when you turn 18 you are legally an adult and can live where you choose
    Depending on where the OP lives, the court may or may not even listen to her preference at age 12. Usually they will, but not always.

Emancipation is not available in all states and is VERY hard to get.

Please see what I said above about accuracy of responses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a united states marine, I need help! [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I joined the marine corps when I was 18. I have an amazing girl friend which I've been dating for the past 2 years. I'm stationed in okinawa japan for 2 years now. I haven't seen her for 6 months but we do talk. I've been feeling depressed for a long long time, since I join the...

Flying within the United States [ 1 Answers ]

I am Canadian, driving over the border to Buffalo, flying from Buffalo to Florida, do I need a passport? One airline says yes the other one says no.

Population of the united states [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... My question is: How is the population of the united states distributed? :confused:

United states immigrants [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: what 3 things that immigrants have brought to the united states

United states constituition [ 1 Answers ]

Name the four ways in which the United States COnstituition has been developed since 1 789 and give an example of each.

View more questions Search