Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Nov 17, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Stock Related Question
    When you see for example: Portugal Telecom SGPS (ADR) (Public, NYSE:PT)
    What does ADR stand for? It says that: Currency in USD. What is the Tax on
    A foreign dividend stock?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 06:16 PM

ADR is a stock that trades in the United States but represents a specified number of shares in a foreign corporation. ADRs are bought and sold on American markets just like regular stocks, and are issued/sponsored in the U.S. by a bank or brokerage. Taxes are paid as US income.

Nov 17, 2011, 06:26 PM
    Very Good, you are essentually saying that there is no down side to purchasing these Foreign Stocks as long as they are paying in US Currency? Dividends are taxed just like US stock dividends?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Not quite. The foreign company will not directly pay you, the bank or brokerage that holds the ADR's will pay and since they are in the US, the dividends are taxed like a US corp. Many of the mutual funds I own contain ADR's. "No down side"? There are always up and downsides in stock ownership. Look at the market the past 2 days.

Nov 17, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Thanks. I might look into purchasing ADR's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics related question [ 0 Answers ]

Hi this is mahesh I have completed my graduation(B.Sc M.P.Cs) with 79.05% and wrote the PG in PHYSICS entrance then I got the rank 499 in osmania university hyderabad could you tell me which college I will got and which course gives the best future and carer opportunities plzzzzzzzzzz

Immigration related question [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a work visa from past 1 year(L1B). I was given a ticket for Misdemeanor 10 months ago (in San francisco,CA)and was asked to attend a Training program (FOPP) in lieu of prosecution. (Note: I was NOT taken to court as this was my very first offense that led me in contact with criminal ...

View more questions Search