Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpdying Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
    Terminally ill elderly man surviving without proper hydration
    I am concerned about an elderly man. He is on NPO and based on what the family has read without water by mouth he should only hang on for 3-5 days. It has been 7 as of today. The family is wondering if all the injections the patient is being given contribute to some hydration and therefore may be keeping the poor man alive
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Injections for what? No IVs?

Nov 17, 2011, 05:48 PM
    No iv's. The injections are suppose to be for pain control. He is receiving 4 large syringes full of meds every 4 hours. He has an advanced directive that won't allow for life support
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
    What is your concern for him? That he is thirsty and should be getting water? That he hasn't died yet?

Is he awake and alert?

Nov 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
    He has been unresponsive for two days to anything but painful stimuli. We are hoping not to have a prolonged process to the end. He can't have anything by mouth due to an injury that totally messed up his throat muscles. He has not been given any food by any means for almost 10 days and his IV drip was discontinued 7 days ago. It is tearing the family apart watching him waste away
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
    And his advanced directive is in order?

Nov 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
    Fortunately yes
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
    Then his family has no choice but to patiently wait, and pray for a speedy end to his earthly journey.

Has a harpist been brought in, or is any soothing music being played for him?

Nov 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
    I have brought in his favorite nature sounds, big bands and celtic cds and the hospice is providing aroma therapy and they are allowing his old dog to sleep on the bed with him.

Nov 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
    Thank you. I am going to the hospice to sit with the family for a few hours. I really appreciate your responding to me. It means a lot
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 06:14 PM
    I may come to your hospice someday when I'm ready to die -- if I can bring my cats and my doo-wop CDs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Psychic Ability in Terminally ill [ 4 Answers ]

Is it true that persons close to death (suffering from a terminal illness - eg: Brain Cancer) can "see things" and "know things" very much like a psychic and clairvoyant?

How to ask for donations for a terminally ill persons bills [ 1 Answers ]

My Mothers Husband has been diagnosed with 2 types of Cancer that is Terminal. He isn't working and she is having to miss a lot of days from work without pay. She has to stay Home to care for him but, the bills are piling up and there isn't enough money to take care of their basic needs (Rent,...

Supporting the terminally ill [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best way to support someone who is terminally ill and extreemly depressed about it. He speaks of suicide and is saying his good-byes to everyone. Should I go visit or just make myself available?

View more questions Search