Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msbmaxwell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Brake Problems
    I own a 1989 Accura Integra. Yesterday I took my car and had my oil changed and nothing was wrong with the car. Last night the brakes started acting up and today the brake pedal goes to the floor when I try and stop. What could have caused this? :confused:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Honda/Acura recommend changing the brake fluid every 24 months. When this is not done, you set yourself up for brake failure. Replacing the brake fluid replenishes the lubricity of the fluid, helping to prevent seal wear, purges moisture and air, and restores anti-corrosion properties. You likely have a caliper, wheel cylinder, or master cylinder that's leaking.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2007, 09:43 AM
    You didn't grasp what I said. The brake fluid needed to be changed every 2 years, since 1989. Having the brakes done (pads and shoes replaced) and the fluid checked 4 months ago is almost irrelevant--by then, the damage had already been done. In fact, if you have your pads and shoes replaced and you have not been regularly changing your brake fluid, it can be the cause of your problem. Thicker pads and shoes force the pistons and seals back over all of the abrasive crud that has formed in the calipers/wheel cylinders. Then, it doesn't take long for seals to fail, brake fluid to leak, and pedal going to the floor. Pretty clear?

What you should have done is have the calipers and wheel cylinders rebuilt, before installing new pads and shoes. If you had been regularly changing your brake fluid, every 2 years like Acura recommends, you wouldn't have this problem.
    badpenny Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Feb 11, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Not to mention that the fabric lines degrade over time, changing the fluid in them cleans the lines out to allow for more hydrolic action to occur. But, what could be the issue is that your boots on your actuators (calipers) have holes in them. But you would know this by seeing small puddles under your wheels.
    KatieKat Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 02:46 AM
    Nice thread.
    Thanks for the info. I got brake problems couple of days now. My friend recommend to change to EBC brakes. I think I'll be needing a replacement now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Z71 Truck. The brake lights stay on . I can't find the problem.

Brake lights [ 6 Answers ]

When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.

Brake fluid loss [ 9 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on. There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway. This has been happening for 2...

Brake problems on '85 towncar [ 4 Answers ]

Today my daughter came home from school and said her brake light went on. She said she had to push really hard to get the brakes to work. I checked the brake fluid, thinking it might need filling - but it seemed fine. Then I drove the vehicle - it seems as though the brakes are gone. If you...

View more questions Search