Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jermardar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2011, 05:10 AM
    Can an employer randomly drop my wife from my insurance plan?
    My wife has been on my employers plan since 2009, after she got fired from her job. She was shortly added to my plan with no problem. We live in separate residences, however, we are still married. Never got divorced or even legally separated. My employer has dropped her from my plan(maybe because of negotiations with my union)out of nowhere. Is this legal?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 06:35 AM
    What reason does the HR department give you as to why they dropped her? Be prepared to provide proof that you are lawfully married and not legally separated. Recently my employer required that all employees with spouses on their insurance provide a copy of their marriage certificate and the first page of the latest federal tax return (with numbers blanked out but showing filing status and signatures) to show that (a) they were lawfully married, and (b) they are still married.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Hello j:

I'd see your union shop steward.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
    Yes, and even if dropped, she would ( in the US) be able to still be covered under the COBRA requirements.
    But without notice and without being given a reason, no they can not and are not allowed just to drop her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

As an employer can we randomly drug test a 1099 employee [ 1 Answers ]

Can we legally drug test a 1099 or independent contractor that is working for our company? And if so, would we need to get some kind of consent from the candidate for it to be legal? And also, can we run a background check on a 1099 or independent contractor?

Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election? [ 1 Answers ]

When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?

Drop health insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal for a spouse to drop the other spouse from their health insurance before filing for divorce?

View more questions Search