Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaa659 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:05 PM
    No way to pay medical costs.
    My son-in-law's father just suffered a heart attack and stroke. He is presently hospitalized and scheduled to be airlifted to Mayo because of kidney failure.

I know him and his family well. They have no insurance. They have no source of income. They have absolutely nothing of any value nor do they stand a chance of ever accumulating anything of value.

The healthcare costs, I'm sure, will be astronomical (Probably tens of thousands if not more), and they can't afford one penney.

What happens next? Do they have any hope? Is there a possible solution?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Can he apply for the state medicaid program? There is also a program called Hill-Burton Act, passed in 1946, that gave hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities grants and loans for construction and modernization. In return, they agreed to provide a reasonable volume of services to persons unable to pay and to make their services available to all persons residing in the facility's area. The program stopped providing funds in 1997, but about 300 health care facilities nationwide are still obligated to provide free or reduced-cost care.

Here is the link: HRSA - Hill-Burton Free and Reduced Cost Health Care

You can find out if one of the hospitals is near him. But you said he is going to Mayo and that hospital is not on the list. Might be some information to keep for further reference.

Find out if Mayo has a charity case program. He should apply if they do. Other than that, there are not many options that I can think of. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Wedding costs [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know how to get wedding help with paying for my wedding my boyfriend and I are not very rich and we could really use some help on paying for our wedding.Please help us.

Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Assume that X Company has total variable costs of $90,000 when 30,000 units are sold. If 50,000 units were sold, total variable costs would be: a. $100,000 b. $120,000 c. $130,000 d. $150,000

Company costs [ 1 Answers ]

When running a small business is it better to capitalize some if not most of the costs and incur amortization expenses year over year or expense them all in the period they are incurred realizing the whole costs

External costs [ 1 Answers ]

If a company chooses to outsource production to a cheaper country, what would be the external costs? I believe pollution in the new country would be, but how about the job loss in the initial country?

View more questions Search