Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrdang Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2011, 11:42 AM
    Buying house with crumbling steps, too cold for concrete

Front 5 steps crumbling badly (actually a little worse on the left than in the attached pic)on the house I'm buying, but not closing on the place until Nov 28th, and contractor won't guaranty their work after Nov 1st because of the season. Thinking about buying a set of 4 steps risers and setting the temporary set right over the top so I don't get sued and the mailman won't hate me. Please tell me why I'm wrong and what I should do instead. Thanks!
    mrdang Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Nov 16, 2011, 12:31 PM
    OR... do I essentially build it upside-down, so the (custom)risers only secure the boards(steps)so the whole thing can nest within the existing steps?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2011, 04:17 PM
    That is a fairly inexpensive way to get around bad steps. Affix the stingers to the sides of the existing steps with lead anchors or red heads and lay 5/4 boards across. Screw the boards to the stringers. Some people put construction adhesive on the stringers and deck boards. You may have to adjust the first step to keep the risers constant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete water fountain crumbling [ 3 Answers ]

We have a concrete water fountain and the bowl is starting to crumble (underneath) I was wondering if it is worthwhile trying to patch/repair it or replace it. I am thinking of concrete patch material, although I know I won't be able to duplicate the pattern on the bowl considering it is...

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

Crumbling concrete wall/floor [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a house approx. 10 years old. In some of the areas in my basement the concrete seems to be disintegrating (white powdery substance forming and breaking slightly the concrete) where the wall meets the floor. What exactly is this and what can I do to stop the breakdown of this concrete?...

Concrete steps crumbling away on top. [ 3 Answers ]

My mothers concrete steps are breaking up on the top and the steps are at least 40 years old. Do you think if I chipped away the weak concrete on top and resurfaced them they would last or would the older concrete deteriorate underneath the resurfaced step? If resurfacing is the best choice, what...

View more questions Search