Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jensimms72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Lukewarm water in condo
    I am a condo unit owner. There are about 95 units in the building. I am on the first floor in the corner. The garage is below me and I am near the exterior walls on the side of my unit. I did not have any problems with hot water until about a month ago. The whole building had no hot water. They claimed it was fixed but the maintenance person said that one of four boilers is not working. I get cold water but my hot water is only lukewarm. The maintenance person checked my entire unit and all 4 faucets do the same thing. He turned up the temperature for the building from 125 to 130. It improved for a while but now is lukewarm again. He claims no one else is complaining and that it is a plumbing problem within my unit that is my responsibility to fix. This does not sound right to me considering I the water heater is not specific to my unit.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2007, 01:49 PM
    I would have the Condo Board force the maintenance person to come back and pinpoint the problem. Do you have hot water entering your unit? Any plumbing work done recently? Regards, tom
    jensimms72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jensimms72
    I am a condo unit owner. There are about 95 units in the building. I am on the first floor in the corner. The garage is below me and I am near the exterior walls on the side of my unit. I did not have any problems with hot water until about a month ago. The whole building had no hot water. They claimed it was fixed but the maintenance person said that one of four boilers is not working. I get cold water but my hot water is only lukewarm. The maintenance person checked my entire unit and all 4 faucets do the same thing. He turned up the temperature for the building from 125 to 130. It improved for a while but now is lukewarm again. He claims no one else is complaining and that it is a plumbing problem within my unit that is my responsibility to fix. This does not sound right to me considering I the water heater is not specific to my unit.
    The maintenance person is a condo owner. He is not a plumber. I only seem to get lukewarm water coming into my unit. When he turned up the temperature of the water heaters, I got hot water for a while but now it is lukewarm again. I know some plumbing work was done but not the nature of it. The work was done right after everyone in the building could not get any hot water. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2007, 04:33 PM
    The best advice I can give you would be to call in a plumber that knows what he's doing. The fact that you only have lukewarm water coming into your unit puts the problem outside your unit and into a common area. This should NOT be done at your expense. For the last 40 years I've been bossing the plumbing in high and mid-raise condos here in the Tampa Bay Area and know a little about condo law. If you had hot water entering your unit and then couldn't get anything but lukewarm water the expense would be on you. But this isn't the case. If the maintenance guy,( who isn't a plumber) attempts to place the expense on you he should take up a hobby and leave the maintenance to people that know what they're doing. Your guy's lost! Regards and let me know how you make out. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water not available on some units in my condo [ 9 Answers ]

Hello: I live in a condo where there are 6 units to a building. I recently had to shut off the water supply to the entire building to replace a hot water tap in the kitchen dishwasher as part of a remodeling project (lots of banging, tearing). Now my neighbors downstairs are saying that they...

Bathtub only lukewarm water [ 1 Answers ]

All of a sudden I cannot get good hot water in the shower. The water all over the house will almost burn you. I have know idea. The other shower is fine. What is the name of the " heat limiter " thingy and is it replaceable ?

Lukewarm water in shower and tub, hot in sinks [ 4 Answers ]

OK... this is a weird issue. I have a dedicated recirc line with a pump and a timer that I only run an hour a day or so in the morning, due to energy costs of heating the water. The problem I am having is that when I am not recirculating the water, the master shower and master tub only get...

No hot water in my condo [ 5 Answers ]

I own a condo. Last week property management posted a notice that our water would be turned off for mantenance. Two of the 5 buildings in our complex have not had hot water since. When I called property management their first response was its my problem because no one else has complained. I have...

Condo water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Ref: 18th floor condo, low water pressure. Condo has 192 units. History: Three months ago a neighbor busted a washing machine cold water input hose and it destroyed the ceiling in a unit below, on the 17th floor. The association was sued by the owner of the unit on the 17th floor stating that the...

View more questions Search