Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShellD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 05:53 PM
    How to wire a dual wire fixture on ceiling with one set of wires?
    I bought a ceiling fixture that has two white and two black wires. How do I wire that to the wall that only has one white and one black? I know what to do with the ground, but this 2-1 thing confuses me.

Thanks in advance,
    Shelley
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 05:55 PM
    Splice all blacks together, and all whites together.
    ShellD Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
    I knew it must be something simple like that! Thanks a bunch.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
    Light has 2 bulbs? If so this is common in multiple light fixtures. Connect all the blacks together and all the whites together with wire nuts, tape the nuts and you should be ready to go.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    ...tape the nuts and you should be ready to go.
    Do NOT tape the wire nuts. A properly installed wire nut does not need tape for ANY reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain which wire is ground wire when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire [ 5 Answers ]

Explain which wire is ground when you have 2 black wires and 1 white wire

Combining 4 wires to wire a 2 pin fixture in parallel, will it blow something? [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring a simple one bulb fixture in a closet. The old fixture had a 3-prong outlet plug as well as a bulb and the new fixture only has the bulb. There are two black and two neutral wires (for a total of 4 wires coming from ceiling) but only two screws on the new fixture. Can I combine the...

Ceiling fixture, one wire too many [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a new ceiling light where one once was. The new fixture has two white and two black, plus a ground wire. The ceiling opening has two white, two black, a ground and one red wire. The ceiling light is controlled by a wall switch. Wiring black to black and white to white...

How do I connect two wires from the ceiling to a three wire fixture [ 1 Answers ]

In UK Black & Red feeds from the ceoiling rose. I am installing a new fixture which has three transparent sheaths and one earth, Fixture cables one appears blue one other brown and one seems to be bi-coloured white & blue. I have tried different options and can get a trip or am left with the...

How to wire a new ceiling fixture in an old box with four wires [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a home built in the 1950s and am trying to change a simple ceiling fixture. My husband disconnected the old fixture from the ceiling, but neglected to see how it was connected. :o my question is this: I'm trying to hook up a new fixture with just one black, one white and one...

View more questions Search