Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggghhhwwwrrr Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 05:39 PM
    Random here.
    Hello, I think I have adhd . What should I do next?. BTW. Im 18 and a college student. I actually took a leave of absence from school because the work became so difficult.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
    Have you had school and studying problems before this?

What courses do/did you have?

Name four ways you have problems in school.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
    The first thing you need to do is get a diagnosis from a Physician. After that there are several available courses for you - but the diagnosis comes first.

Did you take any of the advice on your other thread - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/emotio...ml#post2934603
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you had school and studying problems before this?

What courses do/did you have?

Name four ways you have problems in school.

His name was familiar to me - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/emotio...ml#post2934603
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Good catch, Judy! And your suggestion is right on! He shouldn't diagnose himself.

Nov 15, 2011, 05:56 PM
    I have always had problems in school. Every single year I was placed in summer school and also had to take tutoring. I can't focus. Its like I can never think of one single thought for a long period. Also, when I really need to concentrate , like when I am doing an assignment , I begin to day dream, or think of other things. I always tap my feet, bite my nails, or rub my fingers together.

Because of this, when I was in school I felt hopeless , stressed and depressed. My cases weren't difficult classes. I am a chronic procrastinator. I am also disorganized and forgetful. I took three test on line and I always scored above the average adhd markings. Idk . And there is a bunch of other things
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 05:59 PM
    Did you ever see a therapist or psychologist about this?

Nov 15, 2011, 06:05 PM
    No. When I was younger my teachers would hint it to my mother but she doesn't believe in this like that. She thinks I'm lazy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 06:10 PM
    I know you are good at writing. What else are you good at? What do you like to do?

Nov 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
    Well, I like the outdoors, and dancing . I like to learn about new things, about other places in the world.The world we live on is so vast, with so many different kinds of cultures. I can't wait to start traveling. :) I also like to acquire knowledge in school , just knowing that I know things make me happy . I like cooking and drawing and making people laugh.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 06:22 PM
    What about going to a technical school to learn art or even cooking?

Forest ranger comes to mind too. Tour guide/employee at a national park?

Nov 15, 2011, 06:34 PM
    Nah , I don't want to have a career in those fields. They're just hobbies. It sounds fun though. I want to work with children but not as a teacher or a care taker. I also want to graduate college with a bachelor's degree. Idk in what yet. I enjoy being in school and going to class; it's the work that is so hard. If I was assigned to write 1 page paper in an hour... double space. I would probably actually use ten minuets to do it. I would write a sentence, do something else, then write another sentence. I am just frustrated with myself. For instance, if I'm with a group of people doing homework, I would be the person distracting everyone. Idk . Sometimes I really try to be good, and sit there and study or do homework but I just can't even though I want to. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 06:37 PM
    What can the school do to help you?

Are you still on campus or back at home?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Public libraries want to attract more males to work with kids and teens especially.

Nov 15, 2011, 06:47 PM
    My advisor recommended I take a leave of absence and "get help". So I did. I tried telling my mother that I think I might have adhd . Her exact words were, " I know but you have been okay until now." I thought about all the years of summer school , tutoring , inconsistent grades on my report cards, teachers saying "she is not using her full potential". How in the world is that okay.

Im thinking of getting help on my own and call the school psy. Office to see if they have and recommendations in nyc. The only thing is that I still need my mother insurance info.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
    May I ask which school it is? (I'm from near Rochester and live near Chicago now.)

Will she give you her insurance info? I hope so.

Now it sounds like you are getting a plan together. Good for you! I'm with you all the way!

Nov 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
    Thank you . I attend SUNY New Paltz. Wow you live in Chicago. I hear it's a lovely city.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
    Yes, Chicago is a beautiful city, and getting prettier. My regret is never going to NYC. I got as far south as Kingston.

Nov 15, 2011, 07:56 PM
    Kingston is very close to New Paltz. Thank you so much for your concern.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
    I want you to stay in touch and let me (us) know what's going on with you. Okay?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Random [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I've just finished year 12 in australia (a couple of days ago actually) And I've always wondered about american high school... I hear on TV and what not about "softmore's" and "freshmans" What do these terms mean? And are there any more?

Random Reboots [ 1 Answers ]

I did take out the side of my PC I have a lot of fans in it. But the fans are pushing air inside the PC should they be backwords?

Random Reboots [ 1 Answers ]

Well my computer is also rebooting randomly. Since I have 3 hard drives and a 6400 amd cpu with a 400 watt power supply would I need a bigger supply?

Random Flushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home that has two toilets. Whenever I flush the toilet in the master bathroom and it finishes, the toilet in the spare bathroom starts running. Any suggestions on how I can stop this problem?

Random 10? [ 3 Answers ]

A building hoist lifts ten 50 kg bags of cement through a vertical distance of 30 m to the top of a high rise building. Calculate the work done by the hoist, assuming the acceleration due to gravity to be 9.81 m/s2. Work done = Force x Distance moved (J) but Force = Mass x Acceleration (N) ...

View more questions Search