Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    themisfitkitten Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Nov 15, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Payroll/Employee Time Sheet Solution?
    I'm Office Manager at a small company; 12 employees now, but we are continuing to grow. As many of our employees work in the field, they do not always check in at the office daily, and we therefore do not have a timeclock for punch-in/punch-out--instead, everyone fills out an Excel spreadsheet and turns it in to me at the end of each week.

The problem is not so much the way the time is tracked, as our guys are pretty reliable, and most are on salary anyway, so the specific hours & descriptions only really matter on the administrative end. After I get the Excel sheets, I am supposed to manually enter them into QuickBooks--and another solution to this would be GREAT, we are not set up to run payroll through QB so I don't know too much about it. I "Use Weekly Timesheet" to do so; I noticed there is a "Let Employees Enter Time" option, but again, I don't know much about it and I feel my boss would be very against allowing the employees into our QB unless she could be convinced that it was completely secure.

The further problem is that I am continuously having to ask for time sheets. We're paid bi-weekly and I often have to ask for one or both weeks' worth. My boss has said "we won't pay them if they don't turn it in," but she has NOT gone that route despite threats, and I honestly wouldn't want to find my paycheck not going through because I made a mistake and forgot to turn in my hours--so it's in part because I check before I pass on the hours to call in for payroll, and ask them to fill out their hours. They all work hard and excel in their fields, and I respect them for the work they do that supports all of us.

On the other hand, even though most of our employees are younger--they're still grown men and the weekly/bi-weekly big sister routine is starting to wear on me. Is it so hard to remember to, at the very least, send an e-mail or make a phone call and say "I had 40 hours and 2 overtime this week, I'll fill out my timesheet on Monday."

Yeah, I like you guys, and I don't want you to have to learn by NOT getting paid, but it seems like it would make more of an impact--since you apparently don't realize that I am looking out for you--than me continuing to ask politely all the time. It DOES disrupt my schedule, maybe not by a LOT since I just have to send a quick e-mail, but I have things to do, too!!

This may have turned into more of a rant than anything. Am I just being too lenient, and should the boss and I just make good on threats of not paying people who can't be bothered to turn in their hours? Or is there some middle ground we could reach with no extra expense--for example, a good, free, downloadable time tracking program? Something in QuickBooks? Some way to make our Excel sheets compatible with QB so I can import the time info, instead of re-entering EVERY DAY of EVERY EMPLOYEE'S time manually?

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me I should stop coddling them and make them do their jobs, lol... ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Do you have a payroll vendor? They may have an online solution. Also check with Intuit, they may also have a solution where employees can enter their time at a Web site and you can download it directly to QuickBooks.

Nov 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
    We do have a payroll vendor--it never occurred to me that they may directly have a solution available, so I'll check into that with them, as well as Intuit. I'd been kind of led to believe (by my boss) that Intuit doesn't really give you anything valuable in the way of payroll assistance unless you actually pay for the service, but it definitely won't hurt for me to check.

Thanks for your help--I at least feel a little better from venting. ;) If I end up getting a good, workable solution, I'll post back here and let you guys know.

-tmk
    emmadcosta Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
    I would suggest Replicon's Employee Time Tracking Software (http://bit.ly/time-and-attendance). This is one of its kind simple to use interface and hassle free application. It has intuitive time management tracking features and also integrates with Quickbooks and MS project built in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2011, 03:54 PM
    Also I would say, talk to your boss, stop chasing after payroll info. If they don't turn it in ( after maybe being reminded once) just don't pay them, perhaps have a official notice sent out. But after one missed check, I bet they remember from then on

Nov 21, 2011, 06:49 AM
    Thank you all for answering--I'm checking out some of these solutions, and I appreciate your suggestions. And Chuck, you're right--I bet they remember after once, too. ;)

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it) and a great week otherwise!

-tmk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

If I am a fulltime exempt employee do I need to submit a time sheet? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a full time exempt employee who has been asked to submit time sheets. Is this legal? And further more I am told to report only the hours they want me to report, they say that no overtime or anything over 8 hours a day should be reflected on the sheet however I am required to work for more than...

Need a payroll solution [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a small business owner with 6 seasonal employees. I'm having a really hard time finding a payroll solution. I just came back from the store and trying to call some of the phone numbers I found on line and there appear to be so many options. I just want something reasonable in price that is...

View more questions Search