Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Nov 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
    Parakeet isn't warming up to us
    We have two parakeets, Sugar and Kiwi. We've had Sugar for about a year and a half now and she's really friendly. She likes to come out of her cage, fly up to us and sit on our shoulders or hand and check out what we're doing. We got Kiwi just 3-4 months after we go Sugar. The two of them get along just fine, but Kiwi just seems afraid of us or nervous and won't accept treats or let us touch her. The only way we can get her in and out of her cage is how she follows Sugar everywhere. She will land on us sometimes but only if Sugar is on us, she never does it alone. I'm just curious as to why this is? And is there any way we could help her trust us more?

PS Sugar was very nervous when we got her, too, but it only took a couple months for her to like us and start behaving as she does now. She accepted treats and we gave them to her when she came out of her cage and climbed onto our fingers or landed on our shoulders. Kiwi will not accept treats.

Check out some similar questions!

Parakeet with lead poisoning? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Hey everyone!I'm dealing with a serious situation. I have two parakeets, a girl and a boy. However I never raised parakeets before and I'm concerned because not only have my birds been fighting every five seconds but my girl parakeet turned black the other day and then green again. Also...

Parakeet problems [ 31 Answers ]

I have a very friendly parakeet. She is 2 and a half years old. She is puffy. I was holding her and she moved her beak up and down and then seeds come out. This happened about 3 times. We had a moth infestation, that might have been the reason that she got sick. We just cleaned the cage today. ...

Parakeet eggs not hatching. [ 1 Answers ]

My Ringneck Parakeets are sitting on eggs laid in May. The first egg appeared May 10th. Should I remove the eggs? What is the best way to do this? (Well, I know, just reach in there and take them... ) SQUAWK!

Budgie (parakeet) breeding [ 2 Answers ]

Does a pair of parakeet need to be in a nesting box in order to breed?

Not sure what is wrong with my parakeet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a parakeet that has been just laying around on the bottom of his cage today. I noticed when he finally got up onto his perch that his right foot is stiff. I'm worried because my last parakeet just laid around on the bottom of the cage before he died, but he didn't have a stiff foot. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.