Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brenda22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 10:19 PM
    10% shareholder stuck with tax debt that isn't mine
    OK, this is a little bizarre and complex as well so I'll just state the facts. My dad is 90% and I am 10% in a sub chapter s corp in Florida since 2001... I have always been active in the organization and he had always stated that I would take over upon his retirement but for now (2001- present) I would stay on the corporate papers as shareholder, earn my check each week, but not get the 10%. I would claim it and he would pay the taxes on it. That all worked out until 2008 when he started mismanaging the money. I now owe the IRS a total of 53,000, all of which is not my taxable income, I never saw any of it, but I signed the returns. The CPA knew this was going on, that I was claiming income that wasn't mine and that he was paying it. Also, our secretary knows as well as a few others. There's proof, like checks he wrote for the previous years. Can I get out of this obligation? Oh, and he is broke now, spent every last dime he ever made. If I need, I'll go to court ? CPA says they can't do an amendment but I think they simply don't want their involvement exposed. Any suggestions please, I am driving myself crazy worrying with this everyday.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda22 View Post
    ... My dad is 90% and I am 10% in a sub chapter s corp in florida since 2001. ...
    So you are saying that he owns 90% of the shares and you own 10%.

... I have always been active in the organization and ... (2001- present) I would stay on the corporate papers as shareholder, earn my check each week, but not get the 10%. I would claim it and he would pay the taxes on it. ...
    Were you an officer in the corporation? Normally a shareholder doesn't get paid a salary, only officers do. Or are you saying that the corporation "declared a dividend" each week?

... I now owe the IRS a total of 53,000, all of which is not my taxable income, I never saw any of it, but I signed the returns. ...
    ...Your personal income tax return reported that you received $53 K as earned income?

Can I get out of this obligation? Oh, and he is broke now, spent every last dime he ever made. If I need, I'll go to court ? CPA says they can't do an amendment but I think they simply don't want their involvement exposed. Any suggestions please, I am driving myself crazy worrying with this everyday.
    What's stopping you from hiring another accountant, and amending your return?

The form 1120 S that the corporation filed would be incorrect. Did you sign that too? Your accountant should know what to do about amending the 1120 S.
    brenda22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 06:11 PM
    1) Yes him 90% shareholder, me 10%
    2) Yes, I am Vice President
    3) I unknowingly hired an attorney who has a close personal relationship with my CPA, and it was a bit discouraging to say the least. Basically after my CPA and him spoke, my attorney told me amending my taxes would not be in my best interest for a few reasons... me signing the returns could be fraudulent on my part, it would bring attention from the IRS into my other business another sub chapter s corp, and most importantly he said " since your dad is broke and can't pay his own taxes from his returns, he can't pay yours (his really) either and that will be the IRS's main consideration because they want their money and they don't care who it comes from and since you are working and making money, it will be your debt in their eyes. At least with you, they can put you on a payment plan to get it." (my dad is 73 and is not going back into the workforce.) Thank you so much for your time and insight, I feel a little more hopeful since you didn't reply with "sorry nothing you can do." Thanks again, Brenda

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can they go after my spouse for my debt? When it's mine [ 1 Answers ]

Before I met my hubby I has acquired medical debt and was paying. Then, in Jan 2009 I was lay-off and was receiving Unemployment until Nov. of 2010. RRC decided to put all my medical debt in my hubbys name and in now going after him and threatening him. Don't get me wroing, I now I owe this money...

Debt from 2000 - not mine - do I have to pay? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a collection notice from a phone company for $400 from a city where I moved from in December 1998. I called the collection agency for information and they told me the dates of service were 12/98 to 4/00 when the phone was shut off. I moved in 12/98 from the city and believe somebody...

C/a trying to collect an old debt that isn't even mine [ 2 Answers ]

About 4years ago a collection agency called me about a zellers card that was given to me in 1997 with a 500 limit.he told me that this card now had a balance of $1600.I never had this card and told him so when he called.I asked him to send any proof of me signing for this card or for any of the...

View more questions Search