Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annee63 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
    Clay Tile Blocks
    I have outside walls in my basement that are made of some type of clay tile. They are not cinder blocks. The blocks have some type of mold or something growing on them. They have been treated with antifungal paint, at least 3 coats and whatever this is has bled through. How can we get rid of this problem and prevent it from happening again.

The pictures of the white walls are what the 'mold' walls look like. The grey/dark wall are what the wall looked like before painting. These are all outside walls of our basement.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2011, 08:54 PM
    If you note, the growth is in the mortar joints and is caused by water infiltration and seepage. Until you can figure a way to stop the water, the growth will return. Have you sprayed any bleach to see what it does?

Nov 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
    Should it be straight bleach or diluted with water?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
    1 part Bleach with 4 parts water will help clean the area but it will not reach the roots of this mold. Also, cleaning without stopping the water infiltration is like spitting in the wind.

Nov 15, 2011, 08:13 PM
    We have tried bleach mixture in the past and it doesn't help. Would scraping out the bad spots and painting with some type of Drylock do any good? We can't see where the water is seeping through to the basement.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Bleach is not a great mold killer like most folks think. Buy an actual mildewcide, also wire brush the spots and yes you can try Drylock. Again, stopping the water from the outside is what really should be done
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2011, 10:25 AM
    You could also scrape out well and try to point with hydraulic cement. That may work to stop the water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install tile base molding on diagonal tile floor? [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed a diagonal ceramic tile floor in my bathroom. I want to know how to install the base,is there a pattern to installing? I have diagonal sheet rock walls in the bathroom, will this change my pattern too? Can I use the same tile as the floor or do I need to purchase bull nose tile?

Can you still buy the old style clay field tile? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to make a wine rack and the old field tile work real well.

Ceramic tile over concrete blocks [ 2 Answers ]

I need to tile over an old shower made of concrete blocks the kind used to build with. Do I need to use a glue, some type of sealer or what? I am using a cheap ceramic tile from Lowe's. Thank you for any ideas. Lorna

View more questions Search